Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-18 16:11:10

Jhon987

Can Mousepad open files on SFTP?

According to this old thread: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=5652  I understand that it's possible, yet to do so on my system is beyond me.
So, is it really possible?

#2 2015-12-18 19:52:41

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Can Mousepad open files on SFTP?

Assuming you have a server with sshd running and access to this server, enter into the Thunar address bar:

sftp://xx.xx.xx.xx

...and authenticate when prompted. This will create a gvfs-mounted share in thunar. Simply right-click the file in question and select "Open With Mousepad". If you have write permissions on the server for this file, you should be able to edit and save the file.

Note: you need to have gvfs (or gvfs-fuse) installed.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2015-12-18 21:27:41

Jhon987

Thanks for replying ToZ, I have all the permissions (VPS) set and Thunar can easily mount it, yet it's a no-go with Mousepad for me - opening text file on the server with mousepad yields a blank document.
gvfs (1.24.2) is compiled with fuse use-flag...

Edit: scratch what I said earlier, it is working!
I compiled the needed packages today and didn't restart so things seem to have no effect, however, now after I rebooted muosepad loads the documents.

Thank you for your time ToZ, sorry for wasting it...

Last edited by Jhon987 (2015-12-18 21:53:48)

#4 2015-12-18 23:45:47

ToZ
Administrator

Jhon987 wrote:

Thanks for replying ToZ, I have all the permissions (VPS) set and Thunar can easily mount it, yet it's a no-go with Mousepad for me - opening text file on the server with mousepad yields a blank document.
gvfs (1.24.2) is compiled with fuse use-flag...

Edit: scratch what I said earlier, it is working!
I compiled the needed packages today and didn't restart so things seem to have no effect, however, now after I rebooted muosepad loads the documents.

Thank you for your time ToZ, sorry for wasting it...

Never a waste. Glad its working.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer