Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-01 12:27:27

Jazoray

A better Task Bar?

I have googled for hours. now i think i can ask here.

is there a taskbar or an xfce taskbar plugin that

1. lets me launch new instances of already running programs from buttons representing existing windows

2. let's me see a preview of the window when hovering over the taskbar button representing that window?

3. lets me adjust the font size of the window buttons independently from the font size set in xfce-apearance-settings?

#2 2016-01-01 13:19:42

Mark7

Re: A better Task Bar?

1: Try the xfce4-dockbarx-plugin

2: The dockbarx plugin will do that, but only if you're using Compiz

3: I It sounds like you want a hybrid taskbar/dock.

Last edited by Mark7 (2016-01-01 13:23:27)

#3 2016-01-01 13:37:04

Jazoray

Mark7 wrote:

1: Try the xfce4-dockbarx-plugin

2: The dockbarx plugin will do that, but only if you're using Compiz

3: I It sounds like you want a hybrid taskbar/dock.

xfce4-dockbarx does almost everything i want to.

now if only

dockbarx would never group windows and always show window titles, like a task bar.

actually, i want just a task bar. Like the one in kde. But without having to carry all the unnecessary bloat that comes with running plasmashell.

#4 2016-01-01 14:11:40

Mark7

So, the answer would be to fold some of the dockbarx  plugin code into the Windows Buttons plugin.

Sounds like an interesting project

#5 2016-01-01 15:10:57

MountainDewManiac

Jazoray wrote:

I have googled for hours.

Jazoray wrote:

is there a taskbar or an xfce taskbar plugin

It might not help, but try searching for an xfce panel replacement instead of an xfce taskbar replacement (since it's called a panel).

Jazoray wrote:

2. let's me see a preview of the window when hovering over the taskbar button representing that window?

It's not precisely what you asked for but, IIRC, the current task-switcher(? "Alt-Tab") can be configured to show previews when it is used.

Jazoray wrote:

3. lets me adjust the font size of the window buttons independently from the font size set in xfce-apearance-settings?

It's probably not something that is controlled from that applet, but have you looked through the applet's source code to see if there is anything that you can adjust (and then compile it yourself)? Alternatively, might it be a Gtk setting? My guess is that it's a "one size for all" thing, and that you'd have to make changes to... IDK, one of Xfce's core components (xfwm?) and then recompile that, but IDK.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#6 2016-01-04 23:55:05

Jazoray

all of you are grossly overestimating my ability to program.

i am now using the frankendesktop of using  kde-panels in my xfce desktop, until  there is a "native" solution. maybe i should look into learning whatever language those xfce panels are written in

#7 2016-01-05 00:24:29

MountainDewManiac

Jazoray wrote:

all of you are grossly overestimating my ability to program.

LOL. I know the feeling. I haven't compiled anything, myself, so I hope you won't think me a hypocrite. But I have looked at various source code through the years (only out of curiosity) and it was pretty much all filled with comments that explained what the code did (to one degree or other). And most linux distros' community web forums seem to have stickied threads that explain - in mostly elementary language - how to compile things. Even my distro's (Mint) does, and as it supplies its users with well-stocked repositories - and the distro is compatible with Ubuntu-style PPAs - there is generally no need for them to ever have to compile anything.  I wouldn't suggest that a novice compile his/her own kernel (although they have certainly done so, and often with success). Additionally, the forums that I have spent time at seemed to be frequented by people who were willing to help others compile their first (et cetera) files. The gurus here would probably do the same.

At the least, if you looked through the relevant source code and found something that looked like it could be easily modified to suit you, presenting that information to someone who thought compiling stuff was, err, fun might, along with a few kind words, be all the encouragement that they needed to try to help you. Just a thought.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer