Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-08 06:58:30

tuxolero

Thuar: Can I force separate process even when daemon is running ?

Hi,

I have several open Thunar windows as part of my manually saved session. Because there currently is a bug causing Thunar to crash when renaming files, I'd like to use a separate Thunar process when I want to rename files. This way, a crash would not affect all the open windows from my sesson and also prevent Thunar from being removed from the session due to the crash.

When I start Thunar /path/to/my/files in the terminal, it detects the running Thunar daemon and just opens a new window in the existing Thunar process. Can I force Thunar to ignore the daemon when I start it from the terminal ?

I think that the current problems with the crash-causing bug is not the only use case for having seperate Thunar processes.

Thanks and Regards,
tuxolero

#2 2016-01-08 12:43:20

Jerry3904

Re: Thuar: Can I force separate process even when daemon is running ?

I do this by opening a terminal and entering:

thunar && thunar

Or do I misunderstand your question?

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2016-01-08 21:23:10

tuxolero

Re: Thuar: Can I force separate process even when daemon is running ?

I do the same thing.
But if there is already a thunar process running in daemon mode, the new thunar process detects it and sends it a message to open a new window. Then the new thunar process exits. And you're left with one thunar process handling all open windows again. If one window crashes, all windows are gone.
I want to force ignoring an already running thunar daemon.
The thunar daemon is started if you have thunar windows in your XFCE session.

Board footer