Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-09 11:28:34

Moebius20

move windows from one screen to the other

Bonjour,

Yes I'm able to do that but, I'm looking for a special feature that is present with compiz and Cinnamon.

I'm a school teacher ; the computer is beside me and the screen of the video-projector is behind me ; the video-projector is not always on ; sometimes (perhaps often wink ) it is in standby state.

Well, I would to be able to getting on the main screen (the computer one) an image of the desktop(s) including the two screens and opened windows, and, looking to this main screen,  be able to move any window from one screen to another ; with the desktop applet of xfce, I can move a window from one desktop to another one but the window remains on the same screen.

Actually, I have to spin dramatically my head to see the projector and move windows from the projector to the main screen ; and if the projector is off, I have to turn it on and wait for light to be sufficient and then turn it off...painful !

My English is not very good ; hope to have been clear anyway smile

Thank you for any help,

cordialement,

#2 2016-02-09 11:35:08

ToZ
Administrator

Re: move windows from one screen to the other

Hello and welcome.

Are you saying that you would like the projector screen and the computer monitor to display the same windows (so you don't have to look at the projector screen)?

By the way, which version of Xfce are you using?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-02-09 12:22:26

Moebius20

... my English is worst than supposed smile

No I've two different screens, not clone.
thank anyway,

cordialement,

#4 2016-02-09 14:00:47

ToZ
Administrator

Okay, I think I understand now. You want to be able to open on your computer screen, some sort of view that will allow you to see both screens, so that you can move windows between the two screens?

If so, I was going to suggest using the Workspace Switcher panel plugin, but I can't seem to get it to move windows between screens - just workspaces.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2016-02-09 14:59:27

ToZ
Administrator

Found this script. Assign it to a keyboard shortcut and it moves the active window between monitors.

#6 2016-02-09 17:12:50

Moebius20

Thank,

It's better than nothing but the windows I need to move can be inactives ; I was rather thinking at something more flexible like expo in compiz where you can drag windows with mouse from one screen to another.

I was thinking about an hidden feature that I had not find or about some unknown plugin/applet...

Finally, perhaps is it rather a feature request...

cordialement,

Last edited by Moebius20 (2016-02-09 17:14:22)

#7 2016-02-09 18:16:24

ToZ
Administrator

If it helps, you should be able to run compiz in Xfce.

#8 2016-02-09 21:50:23

Moebius20

Yes...but no !
In fact, the computer is an old dell with an old nvidia card (nv44) on witch I was running compiz with cairo-dock.
Sometime ago , after some update, I've experienced great problems : nothing was working any more. So, I've discovered Cinnamon witch owns the feature I'm looking for and that have no problem : great, but after another update...same problem ...bye bye Cinnamon !
So, I've installed xfce witch drives everything very fast, and everything is working great. I like it but, unfortunately,  this very useful feature seems not to be in it.

I fear that, installing compiz drives me at same problems. And more, compiz is not present in debian testing repository witch is the distro I run.
Nothing is really simple smile

cordialement,

#9 2016-02-10 01:52:22

MountainDewManiac

You could try Mint (Xfce) to see if compiz plays nicely with your hardware, since Clem includes it (along with Xfwm, of course). Note that I am not suggesting you switch distros (whether to do that or not is your decision), only using Mint to see how well - or not - Xfce with Compiz as the WM would work for you. I realize that you stated you had issues in the past, but that was when you were running Cinnamon as your DE - and Cinnamon is very demanding of hardware.

Another distro (than Mint) that offers a version with Xfce as its DE and compiz as one of its WM choices would also serve for testing purposes, or so I assume.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#10 2016-02-10 17:12:00

Moebius20

Thank for your answer ; What means «DE» ? Desktop or something else ?
Another point that's difficult : it's not eaxctly possible to test a distri (with live usb) without install it because my old nvidia card needs a nvidia driver ; nouveau doesn't work correctly (opengl is very bad and the whole thing is buggy) ; but, live distro install nouveau...but I'm going to look if something is possible in this way...thank again for suggesting.

cordialement,

#11 2016-02-10 18:09:54

Jerry3904

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#12 2016-02-14 08:19:44

Moebius20

Thank,

I've tried to try MX-15 but it's difficult to install...I don't want something too difficult to manage or not solid enough : I'm not the only one  using this computer.
I've tried Mint but, at this time, even choosing compiz, compiz doesn't seem to work (no expo, neither things that go with compiz, even after selecting them in compiz settings manager) ; perhaps, is it necessary to really install mint and not only running live on an usb key...
Anyway, I think the feature I'm looking for is a really useful one when you have to manage a video-projector ;
How can we do to suggest adding this feature to xfce developers ?

cordialement,

Last edited by Moebius20 (2016-02-14 18:12:39)

#13 2016-03-04 10:25:47

Mo_B

While I don't have a screen/projector setup, I usually have multi-screen setups with 2 or 3  24" (1920x...) screens.
Here I more often need to move windows from one screen to the other while leaving the window in maximized size, than I need to move between virtual desktops.
Moving between virtual desktops is possible by key-shortcut, also tiling stuff within the screen area. But I definitly need a key-stroke to move to the other screen.

For now I always need to unmaximize, move by dragging with the mouse (though I like Xfce, I don't like using the mouse), and there maximize again.
Then there comes another issue not related to Xfce, as I have my Linux-host sometimes virtualized in a VMware workstation, spread over multiple screens. Dragging from one screen to the other is painful and makes the pointer freeze for seconds..

Gentoo-Linux

Board footer