Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-13 21:03:12

Gilles Leblanc

Getting the standard XFCE look on Mint Install

Hi,

I just installed Mint 17.3 XFCE edition. I am trying to make XFCE look and behave as close to possible as a standard vanilla XFCE install.

I have changed the background, changed the style in appearance to Xfce-4.6 (is this the latest style? if not where can I get it?) changed the icons (didn't see the xfce icons used the gnome ones). I changed the style in Window Manager settings from Mint-X to Default.

Is there anything else that would get me closer? I'm looking at the screenshots of the latest XFCE version and I see that I'm not there yet.

Is there a package I can add or remove. Or maybe I should re-install from a clean install?

#2 2016-02-13 21:09:58

sixsixfive
Website

Re: Getting the standard XFCE look on Mint Install

>I'm looking at the screenshots of the latest XFCE version and I see that I'm not there yet.

thats because someone found it nice to to put screenshots of xubuntu on the font page...

so if you want that style you need the greybird gtk theme and the faenza icon theme

im not sure whats the state of faenza in mint is but in fedora and debian there are many icons removed because of copyright/trademark issues so better install it from opendesktop.org

#3 2016-02-14 09:26:22

ravenclaw

You might already know this but just in case:
I wanted to get a default xfce panel on xubuntu.. whereas they have a dark grey thin panel with a whisker menu which I didn't like the style of.

So I just right clicked on the existing panel, go to panel->panel preferences, then click the + to create a new panel.
The new panel will have the default grey xfce color. Right click the new panel and select "Add new items", select "Applications menu" to get the default xfce launcher menu (instead of whisker or other third party menus).. and add all the other panel items you want on your taskbar.
You can compare the items on your existing mint panel to see what you want to add to keep functionality.
Then when your satisfied with the new panel.. go back to the panel preferences and click the x next to the old one to delete it.
And then drag your new panel down to replace the mint one.

Also I could be wrong about this but I think you need to use the default xfce "application" menu to be use the xfce appearance function... I think the whisker menu doesn't pull the style from that.

Lastly I think Adwaita is the default xfce style (under appearance settings) and gnome icons... at least that is what centos uses which I consider pretty plain xfce.
If you don't have either of those then google what mint packages you need to install to get them.

Lastly if the icon sizes are different then your used to on the application menu, you can adjust by going to appearance -> fonts and then check "custom dpi setting" and put in a number there.
The default (small icons) are 96. If you wanted bigger/fatter icons you could change that to something like 109dpi.

Hope something above helps smile. I also only like the default xfce look and feel and those are some of the tricks i've learned.

Last edited by ravenclaw (2016-02-14 09:39:45)

#4 2016-02-14 16:00:23

Gilles Leblanc

Thanks. I got it like I wanted.

Board footer