Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-17 12:49:31

chdslv

Thunar problems

1) When I rename a folder, sometimes Thunar goes off. Sometimes it happens in the first try, sometimes after a while, 3rd or 4th folder rename.
2) When I change a picture with Gimp and it is exported back, the named file is not the same, but the one after. If I go back to the previous visited folder and come back, the changed file is there.
This is annoying a bit, but I like to use Thunar. How to get rid of this problem? Thanks!

#2 2016-02-17 13:29:16

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thunar problems

This is a known bug in thunar. An official fix hasn't yet been released but the patch in comment #14 fixed all the crashing for me. However, according to some of the comments in that bug report, it hasn't fixed the problem for everyone.

What version of Thunar and which distro do you use?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-02-17 14:06:01

chdslv

Once I know how to not to get caught to it, I can live with it. It is just annoying. Thunar is 1.6.10, I am using a distro called Nelum based on Ubuntu. It is on Opnebox. https://sourceforge.net/projects/nelum-os/

#4 2016-02-17 15:47:47

ToZ
Administrator

If you're interested, adventurous and welcome possible breakage, you can try patching and re-building thunar to see if the patch fixes your issues. Here is the process I used on Xubuntu 16.04 (since the 16.04 version of Nelum appears to be based on it):

1. Install the necessary build utilities:

sudo apt-get install build-essential devscripts

2. Install the thunar build dependencies:

sudo apt-get build-dep thunar

3. Get the thunar source:

apt-get source thunar

4. Get the patch file and put it in the thunar source directory

cd thunar-1.6.10
wget http://bug-attachment.xfce.org/attachment.cgi?id=6530 -o 0001-Deactivate-SEND_MOVED-code-paths.patch

5. Patch the source:

patch -p1 < 0001-Deactivate-SEND_MOVED-code-paths.patch

...you should see messages about the patch being applied successfully.

6. Optionally edit the change log and version information:

dch -i

7. Create the new thunar deb files:

debuild -us -uc -b

8. Install the new thunar packages (2 need to be installed - thunar-data and thunar):

cd ..
sudo dpkg -i thunar-data.....deb
sudo dpkg -i thunar_1.6.10.......deb

9. Log out and back in again to test.

*If you do this, can you please post back to the bug report your results? It will be useful to the developer.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer