Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-02-22 12:27:14

roberto68

Bad UX experience of configuring shorcuts in Xfce generaly

configuring shortcuts experience in Xfce is horrible

1st) I want to enter clipman at the keyboard shortcut (so I can choose from the pastes with UP/DOWN key) -but noting like that in properties.
On the top of that Clipman is behaving buggy - place new icon on the main panel everytime I copy smth
2nd) place the languages icon in the main panel - so I can see which language is selected
3) cannot configure shortucts in tux commander

So as I was accustomed in gnome or KDE, there should be option for configuring shortcuts  somewhere in settings, preferences, properties of the program.
I know Xfce is kinda minimalistic so I do not expect some flashy animations and cool UI features, but the UX must be "full expereince".
So when you click on properties, preferences.. you can configure shortcuts - also on the "extensions" on main panel like clipman.

Thanks Rob

Last edited by roberto68 (2016-02-22 14:24:00)

#2 2016-02-22 14:12:15

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Bad UX experience of configuring shorcuts in Xfce generaly

roberto68 wrote:

configuring shortcuts experience in Xfce is horrible

I think you are bring overly dramatic here. What is so difficult about Settings Manager > Keyboard > Application shortcuts? Clicking on the "Help" button takes you to this page with outlines the basic steps to create a shortcut.

1st) I want to enter clipman at the keyboard shortcut (so I can choose from the pastes with UP/DOWN key) -but noting like that in properties.

Create a keyboard shortcut for the helper command: xfce4-popup-clipman.

On the top of that Clipman is behaving buggy - place new icon on the main panel everytime I copy smth

This doesn't make sense. What is "smth"? Perhaps a read of this and this would be helpful.

2nd) place the languages icon in the main panel - so I can see which language is selected

Add an new panel item to the panel - the "Keyboard Layouts" plugin.

3) cannot configure shortucts in tux commander

Tux Commander is not an Xfce application. You should ask on the appropriate support channels for assistance with this application.

So as I was accustomed in gnome or KDE, there should be option for configuring shortcuts  somewhere in settings, preferences, properties of the program.
I know Xfce is kinda minimalistic so I do not expect some flashy animations and cool UI features, but the UX must be "full expereince".
So when you click on properties, preferences.. you can configure shortcuts - also on the "extensions" on main panel like clipman.

If the application is designed and written to support shortcuts, then yes. Clipman is not. (The only "shortcut" or helper-command  shipped with the package is xfce4-popup-clipman which serves the purpose of popping up the clipman list of pastes). Also, "full experience" is an ambiguous term - without specifically defining it, it can mean anything and is highly subjective.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-02-24 14:47:58

roberto68

Thanks for reply
ok clipman solved I did xfce4-clipman instead of xfce4-popup-clipman that's why everytime I type Ctrl+H there was 2 icon of clipman but I cannot enter its content.
instead of tux-commander I installed xfe. but I do not understand:  "Add an new panel item to the panel - the "Keyboard Layouts" plugin." I was in settings->keyboar->layout but there's nothing like you mentioned.

#4 2016-02-24 15:48:20

ToZ
Administrator

roberto68 wrote:

but I do not understand:  "Add an new panel item to the panel - the "Keyboard Layouts" plugin." I was in settings->keyboar->layout but there's nothing like you mentioned.

Right-click the Panel and select Panel > Add New Items. From the "Add New Items" dialog, find and select the "Keyboard Layouts" plugin. Then click "Add". This will add the languages icon to the panel.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2016-02-25 13:34:31

roberto68

thanks, but that's what I mean bad ux - it is little bit inconcsistent: you set keyboard shortucts for items in pannel in settings add new items to it right in the panel itself, not horrible - I over emphasized it a bit but trivial tasks was not so easy - should could be more simple

Board footer