doomwake

XFWM4 -replace issue please help

http://imgur.com/a/gyXpx
ignore picture 1 that issue has been fixed

Pics to big for website uploaded to imgur

Issue 2:
Trying to get a windows manager switcher to work for xfce:
https://launchpad.net/wm-switcher

All other windows manager switch fine with it but xfce gives me this error message:
(xfwm4:6886): xfwm4-WARNING **: Unmanaged net_wm_state (window 0x500002c, atom "_NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED")

(xfwm4:6886): xfwm4-WARNING **: Unmanaged net_wm_state (window 0x3a000b2, atom "_NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED")

(xfwm4:6886): xfwm4-WARNING **: Unmanaged net_wm_state (window 0x1a00003, atom "_NET_WM_STATE_FOCUSED")

(xfwm4:6886): xfwm4-WARNING **: Failed to connect to session manager: Failed to connect to the session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined

and it switches to some random windows manger maybe some kind of xfce but not my theme and i cant switch it with xfce theme manager.

If I open a term and type xfwm4 --replace my theme comes back and I can switch themes around but not if I just use the program to switch it.

Please help me fix these so I can switch to llinux for good.

Thanks,
Corey

#2 2016-04-12 13:06:40

ToZ
Administrator

Re: XFWM4 -replace issue please help

That window manager switcher program is about 8 years old. Plus, it doesn't have xfwm4 included as an option. Did you include it yourself?

Anyways, you don't need that application if you want a simple utility to switch window managers. You can use zenity and a script like:

#!/bin/bash

ANSWER=$(zenity --title "Window Manager Switcher" --list --text "Select a window manager to run:" --radiolist --column "Pick" --column "Window Manager" TRUE xfwm4 FALSE openbox FALSE kwm FALSE compiz)

case $ANSWER in
    xfwm4) xfwm4 --replace & ;;
    openbox) openbox --replace & ;;
    kwm) kwm --replace & ;;
    compiz) compiz --replace & ;;
    *) ;;
esac

Note: I've never used kwm or compiz so I'm not sure if those are the commands to start them or not.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-04-12 17:23:47

doomwake

Yeah I tired adding it myself just followed the format but xfwm4 is not suppose to run that way I guess.

Anyways that's awesome what you just wrote! I'm not a coder at all, can you make it a notification or Indicator so I can left click and pick what manager I want?

I'm aiming for something like compiz fusion Icon did if you know what that is but it no longer works.

Thanks,
Corey

#4 2016-04-12 17:41:06

ToZ
Administrator

doomwake wrote:

Anyways that's awesome what you just wrote! I'm not a coder at all, can you make it a notification or Indicator so I can left click and pick what manager I want?

That will be more difficult. Why not just add a launcher to your panel and point that launcher to this script?

I'm aiming for something like compiz fusion Icon did if you know what that is but it no longer works.

I'm sorry but I am unfamiliar with this program.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer