Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-14 16:27:43

hughparker1

[SOLVED] Dropbox Icon has red circle with diagonal like Ghostbusters

I installed ChaletOS 16.04 on my DELL Inspiron 5559 laptop.  ChaletOS uses Xfce desktop.

hugh@DELL-V-CHALETOS:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Release:	16.04
Codename:	xenial
hugh@DELL-V-CHALETOS:~$
hugh@DELL-V-CHALETOS:~$ echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
XFCE

I installed Dropbox but getting the dreaded Dropbox Icon which is red circle with cross like Ghostbusters, I tried a fix that I found and used in other distros ...

$ dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start

this fixed the Dropbox icon, but I got some strange messages which indicates this may not be the best solution....

hugh@DELL-V-CHALETOS:~$ dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start
Dropbox isn't responding!
Dropbox isn't responding!
Dropbox is already running!
hugh@DELL-V-CHALETOS:~$ dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start
Dropbox isn't running!
Starting Dropbox.../usr/share/themes/ChaletOS_Default/gtk-2.0/style/app/panel.rc:57: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "buttons/panel-button-normal.png"
/usr/share/themes/ChaletOS_Default/gtk-2.0/style/app/panel.rc:60: Background image options specified without filename
/usr/share/themes/ChaletOS_Default/gtk-2.0/style/app/panel.rc:89: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "buttons/panel-button-prelight.png"
/usr/share/themes/ChaletOS_Default/gtk-2.0/style/app/panel.rc:92: Background image options specified without filename
Done!

the Dropbox icon did display correctly but after reboot, the icon error returns

I also tried this alternative command...

$ dropbox stop && DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="" dropbox start

again, this fixed the Dropbox icon, but I get similar messages...

hugh@DELL-V-CHALETOS:~$ dropbox stop && DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="" dropbox start
Dropbox daemon stopped.
Starting Dropbox.../usr/share/themes/ChaletOS_Default/gtk-2.0/style/app/panel.rc:57: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "buttons/panel-button-normal.png"
/usr/share/themes/ChaletOS_Default/gtk-2.0/style/app/panel.rc:60: Background image options specified without filename
/usr/share/themes/ChaletOS_Default/gtk-2.0/style/app/panel.rc:89: Unable to locate image file in pixmap_path: "buttons/panel-button-prelight.png"
/usr/share/themes/ChaletOS_Default/gtk-2.0/style/app/panel.rc:92: Background image options specified without filename
Done!

Does anyone know best way to fix this? I'm quite new to linux and not sure how to proceed,

Last edited by hughparker1 (2016-05-14 20:38:09)

#2 2016-05-14 17:54:32

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Dropbox Icon has red circle with diagonal like Ghostbusters

These messages are about the theme that you are using (ChaletOS_Default). It has some errors in it. You should let the ChaletOS developers know so that they can the fix the missing elements. Although these errors may affect the display of panel items, it shouldn't result in a "missing icon" icon.

As for starting dropbox, there have been issues with the icon ever since dropbox migrated to QT. Can you try the following to see if it fixes the icon missing issue:

dropbox stop
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk dropbox

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-05-14 18:36:13

hughparker1

ToZ wrote:

These messages are about the theme that you are using (ChaletOS_Default). It has some errors in it. You should let the ChaletOS developers know so that they can the fix the missing elements. Although these errors may affect the display of panel items, it shouldn't result in a "missing icon" icon.

Thanks for your feedback, I wll post these messages for the developers of ChaletOS.

ToZ wrote:

As for starting dropbox, there have been issues with the icon ever since dropbox migrated to QT. Can you try the following to see if it fixes the icon missing issue:

dropbox stop
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk dropbox

I ran the two commands as you suggested, but the second line didn't seem to do anything, here is the message I received...

hugh@DELL-V-CHALETOS:~$ dropbox stop
Dropbox daemon stopped.
hugh@DELL-V-CHALETOS:~$ QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk dropbox
Dropbox command-line interface

commands:

Note: use dropbox help <command> to view usage for a specific command.

status       get current status of the dropboxd
 help         provide help
 puburl       get public url of a file in your dropbox
 stop         stop dropboxd
 running      return whether dropbox is running
 update       download latest version of dropbox
 start        start dropboxd
 filestatus   get current sync status of one or more files
 ls           list directory contents with current sync status
 autostart    automatically start dropbox at login
 exclude      ignores/excludes a directory from syncing
 lansync      enables or disables LAN sync

... does this make any sense to you?

#4 2016-05-14 19:05:57

ToZ
Administrator

Sorry about that. The command should have been:

QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk dropbox start

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2016-05-14 19:11:57

hughparker1

ToZ wrote:

Sorry about that. The command should have been:

QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk dropbox start

I ran the command but got similar messages to before ...

hugh@DELL-V-CHALETOS:~$ dropbox stop
Dropbox daemon stopped.
hugh@DELL-V-CHALETOS:~$ QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk dropbox start
Done!

... but this time Dropbox icon didn't display as normal, it re-appeared with same red circle and diagonal line.

#6 2016-05-14 20:03:53

ToZ
Administrator

Since this works for you:

dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start

...you can try automating it by changing the /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop file and editing the "Exec" line to read:

Exec=dbus-launch dropbox start

That might save you having to manually restart dropbox all of the time to get the icon to correct.

#7 2016-05-14 20:36:29

hughparker1

ToZ wrote:

Since this works for you:

dropbox stop && dbus-launch dropbox start

...you can try automating it by changing the /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop file and editing the "Exec" line to read:

Exec=dbus-launch dropbox start

That might save you having to manually restart dropbox all of the time to get the icon to correct.

Thanks very much for your help. I haven't tried that sort of code fix before but it has worked.  I appreciate your clear instructions, it made it very easy for someone like me who is still learning Linux.

#8 2016-05-15 06:38:14

poltiser

it is all for nothing - I can start and stop dropbox but it's icon in xfce panel (Xubuntu 16.04 amd64) is without picture and menu does not have any entry. Any corrections?

I use dropbox starting it and stoping from separated launchers ignoring the panel icon (useless)...
In manjaro (laptop) it works normally.

Best regards

#9 2016-05-15 10:16:44

ToZ
Administrator

poltiser wrote:

it is all for nothing - I can start and stop dropbox but it's icon in xfce panel (Xubuntu 16.04 amd64) is without picture and menu does not have any entry. Any corrections?

How are you starting dropbox? What command?

Do you have the "notification area" panel plugin added to your panel?

What icon theme are you using?

Can you post a screenshot of where it the icon is missing?

Board footer