Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-02 19:06:12

allin

Gigolo --auto-connect doesn't work

Hi,
I've set Gigolo to automatically connect to 2 shared directories on my Raspberry Pi via Samba. It works fine if I open the program: it opens, mounts the directories and I can see them on Thunar. I would like to auto-mount these directories at startup but I can't understand how to do it. I created a .desktop file with the "gigolo --auto-connect" command, but it doesn't work.
I thought that my .desktop file was bad, so I've tried to run the "gigolo --auto-connect" command from a terminal, but it doesn't work.

Could anyone help me please?

Edit: both directories are set with the "automatic connection" flag

Last edited by allin (2016-06-02 19:18:50)

#2 2016-06-02 22:49:39

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Gigolo --auto-connect doesn't work

Do you have gnome-keyring installed?

From http://www.uvena.de/gigolo/help.html#st … -bookmarks:

There is no support for direct storing of passwords at all in Gigolo. Instead by using GVfs we get support for gnome-keyring for free. All you have to do is to install the gnome-keyring package (and maybe restart your session). The next time you connect to a resource which requires a password, Gigolo will ask you for it as usual and then the entered password is stored in the keyring for this connection. Currently, your password is stored forever. This will be configurable in future versions to store it only per session or to not store it at all.

Do not worry about installing gnome-keyring, it has not many dependencies (and none of Gnome at all).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-06-03 05:22:55

allin

ToZ wrote:

Do you have gnome-keyring installed?

From http://www.uvena.de/gigolo/help.html#st … -bookmarks:

There is no support for direct storing of passwords at all in Gigolo. Instead by using GVfs we get support for gnome-keyring for free. All you have to do is to install the gnome-keyring package (and maybe restart your session). The next time you connect to a resource which requires a password, Gigolo will ask you for it as usual and then the entered password is stored in the keyring for this connection. Currently, your password is stored forever. This will be configurable in future versions to store it only per session or to not store it at all.

Do not worry about installing gnome-keyring, it has not many dependencies (and none of Gnome at all).

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, gnome-keyring is installed smile The auto-mount feature works fine if I open the Gigolo GUI, but it seems that the "--auto-connect" argument doesn't work.

#4 2016-06-03 10:47:40

Morbius1

The gigolo auto connect feature requires two things to happen:

[1] Gigolo must be set up to launch at login.

** So you need to add gigolo to your Startup Applications:
Menu > Settings > Session and Startup > Application Autostart > Add > gigolo

** Then you need to tell Gigolo to always start minimized to the tray:
gigolo > edit > preferences > Interface > enable "Start minimized in the notification area"

[2] Then you need to connect to and then bookmark the desired share and specify that you want the bookmark to automount.

You will end up with a entry in your /home/$USER/.config/gigolo/bookmarks file that will look something like this:

[public on machz]
host=machz
folder=
user=
scheme=smb
share=public
domain=
path=
autoconnect=1

#5 2016-06-03 12:33:50

allin

Morbius1 wrote:

The gigolo auto connect feature requires two things to happen:

[1] Gigolo must be set up to launch at login.

** So you need to add gigolo to your Startup Applications:
Menu > Settings > Session and Startup > Application Autostart > Add > gigolo

** Then you need to tell Gigolo to always start minimized to the tray:
gigolo > edit > preferences > Interface > enable "Start minimized in the notification area"

[2] Then you need to connect to and then bookmark the desired share and specify that you want the bookmark to automount.

You will end up with a entry in your /home/$USER/.config/gigolo/bookmarks file that will look something like this:

[public on machz]
host=machz
folder=
user=
scheme=smb
share=public
domain=
path=
autoconnect=1

Thank you! Now it works fine!

It would be perfect if I could run it without the icon in the system tray, but now it works like I want and this is what matters. Thank you again

#6 2016-06-17 22:41:48

alcornoqui

Gigolo has a checkbox for running without the icon in the system tray (in Preferences > Interface)

Board footer