Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-16 17:00:36

Steve314

Mouse double paste

More than half the time when I paste using the middle mouse button, I get double pastes. This happens in all applications and changing the mouse makes no difference. I am currently running Ubuntu 16.04LTS with an Xfce Desktop. It happened in 14.04 and 15.10 as well. I have Ubuntu+Xfce installed on four different computers (2 desktops and 2 laptops) I experience the problem on all of them.

#2 2016-07-16 20:05:39

MountainDewManiac

Re: Mouse double paste

Is this on a mouse that contains a scroll-wheel which acts as a third button when pressed? I've had two of those and experienced similar issues - worst was the one that also allowed the user to tilt the scroll wheel left and right (for a fourth and fifth button). More recently, I have been using a laptop that only has two "mouse" buttons; to emulate mouse button #3, I must press both at the same time (done by pressing the right edge of the left button and the left edge of the right button together with one finger) - and I have not had a single issue since.

This may not be the same as your issue. But I came to the conclusion that I was simply unable to press that scroll wheel exactly down and let off of it without making even the tiniest movement along with that downward press, which was causing the system to receive multiple inputs (IOW, I pressed the scroll-wheel downward, but also "rolled" it a fraction of a degree, which caused "third-button press, scroll-wheel event, third-button press" to be read.

If you think that there is any possibility that the above might describe your issue, try the same OS/DE/etc. versions on a laptop (you could probably do this with a "live" distro set up on a USB thumb drive, especially since the exact version does not seem to have any bearing on your issue) and try pressing both buttons together to emulate a third-button event. IF everything functions as expected, then I would chalk it up to a combination of hardware (computer mice) that are made to carry out too many functions for their design plus "slop factor" (for lack of a more exact description) of hardware that is produced in China by the lowest bidder.

The closest thing to a mouse that I had which actually functioned in the expected manner (in regards to the above) was an old (and somewhat expensive for a mouse - around $65 or $70, IIRC) Microsoft-branded mouse, believe it or not. And I'd still occasionally have the same sort of issue that you'd describe, but on a good day I could get it to function as expected three out of five times or so.

I just had a look at my mouse settings, and there does not appear to be a sensitivity(?) adjustment for this design flaw in modern computer mice, unfortunately. I suppose that developers expect the hardware that people purchase to be of acceptable quality, lol. However, you might be able to find such an adjustment option in a different mouse settings manager (either through Synaptic Package Manager - or whichever PM your distro uses - or from a search of the Internet). If you decide to do such a search, find an alternate, and it has this option... I (and, I would assume, others) would be interested in learning of it.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2016-07-17 01:32:43

Steve314

Yes I believe that each of the mice are scroll wheels that function as a middle button. I will check when I get into work on Monday. Some where I have an old true three button Logitech. I will search for it tomorrow an see if I get the same results. I am so used to using the scroll, but I think I could live with out it if it corrected the double paste.

#4 2016-07-19 16:06:50

ungutknut

So is this middle-mouse-paste a XFCE or a GTK feature?

If the latter: please try the same in another DE (Unity for example if you use stock Ubuntu) and report. If it still happens, you could try it on a clean Live-USB Ubuntu.

If it still happens in the live session, I guess it's a driver and/or (unlikely as you reported the same problem with several mice) hardware issue.

Which mice are you using btw?

Board footer