Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-14 01:55:07

KitchM

Thundar Loads Twice After Long Wait

When selecting Thunar from my panel shortcut in Xubuntu 14.04.4 with xfce4 4.11.0, it takes approximately 30 seconds for it to come up, and then approximately 20 seconds later another copy starts as well.

Any ideas on how to fix this odd behavior?

Thanks.

#2 2016-08-14 11:47:51

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Thundar Loads Twice After Long Wait

See: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=5959. Its an old bug that was fixed in later versions of Thunar. That thread has a workaround you can use.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-08-14 22:06:00

KitchM

Why did you say it was fixed in later versions?  I have 1.6.3.  Is there a later one than that?

Also, if you had read the link you suggested, it is not fixed there according to people with the same version I have reported.

Is the fix to use SpaceFM instead?

Please be more specific.

#4 2016-08-15 00:48:21

MountainDewManiac

KitchM wrote:

Why did you say it was fixed in later versions?

Because it was.

KitchM wrote:

I have 1.6.3.  Is there a later one than that?

At least one.

KitchM wrote:

Also, if you had read the link you suggested, it is not fixed there according to people with the same version I have reported.

As ToZ stated, above, that particular bug was fixed in a later version of Thunar.

KitchM wrote:

Is the fix to use SpaceFM instead?

You could choose to use a more current version of Thunar, lol. The current stable version - 1.6.10 - was released 14 months ago.

KitchM wrote:

Please be more specific.

To update to the current version, you might have to update the version of your DE (desktop environment, Xfce) to its current version, which is 4.12. I am not positive about that. Ways to so update might include finding a PPA (that you trust) which contains Xfce 4.12, adding it to your sources list, and running a regular check via your distro's update manager and then installing the updates that it finds; upgrading your distro to its newest version (I would assume that in your case you would choose the newest LTS version, since you are currently using a long-term support version of *buntu); installing that newest (LTS?) version of your distro fresh instead of performing an in-place upgrade; et cetera.

Sometimes, minor upgrades are released for applications/components/etc. which fix bugs. But application/etc. versions are not supported in perpetuity. What I mean by this is that sometimes those fixes are released as part of a more major update. And when that happens, it is up to the maintainer of your distro (Xubuntu) to decide whether to pass those new versions on to the users or not. In your case, it looks like the developers of *buntu have chosen to keep its 14.04.x LTS support version on a previous version of Xfce (and related files, such as Thunar).

EDIT: Perhaps ToZ will be able to explain things better when he sees your most recent post. He might even offer suggestions about various ways you can end up with the newer version of Thunar and the ramifications of each choice, IDK.

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2016-08-15 00:50:38)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2016-08-15 03:31:57

ToZ
Administrator

KitchM wrote:

Please be more specific.

From the first post of the linked thread:

Solutions:
1) Edit /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount and change AutoMount=true to AutoMount=false
2) Upgrade to Thunar 1.6.0 which fixes the issue.

Note: the version in point #2 should say 1.6.10, which is the latest version. However, there is currently a bug in 1.6.10 where thunar is crashing, so maybe point #1 is what you should try.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#6 2016-09-04 13:40:41

Laurentius

Hello.
I'm having this issue too since a couple of months. I use Linux Mint 17.3.
The issue happens only on one user.
I tried the solution #1 {1) Edit /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount and change AutoMount=true to AutoMount=false} but i don't have a network.mount file on that folder. Should i create one?

#7 2016-09-04 13:51:33

ToZ
Administrator

Laurentius wrote:

The issue happens only on one user.

Then its most likely not a system issue, but a user profile issue.

I tried the solution #1 {1) Edit /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount and change AutoMount=true to AutoMount=false} but i don't have a network.mount file on that folder. Should i create one?

Do you have "gvfs-backends" installed? It provides that file.

#8 2016-09-04 14:29:15

Laurentius

So, as it seems to be a user profile issue, could we expect solution #1 work? Or should i try something on the /home/USER folder? if so, What could that be?

could be related to this issue the fact that thunar crashes when trying to empty thrash? I have a lot of files there and they appear to be locked. trying to delete them at once crashes thunar, it freezes at preparing...

About gvfs-backends, it seems i do not have it installed. should i?

Last edited by Laurentius (2016-09-04 15:11:26)

#9 2016-09-04 16:57:23

ToZ
Administrator

Laurentius wrote:

So, as it seems to be a user profile issue, could we expect solution #1 work? Or should i try something on the /home/USER folder? if so, What could that be?

Try running "thunar" from a terminal window to see if any extra messages are displayed. Also look at your xsession-errors file (not sure where that would be on Mint, try ~/.xsession-errors).

could be related to this issue the fact that thunar crashes when trying to empty thrash? I have a lot of files there and they appear to be locked. trying to delete them at once crashes thunar, it freezes at preparing...

Maybe. Try deleting the files manually:

gvfs-trash --empty

About gvfs-backends, it seems i do not have it installed. should i?

Generally yes. Thunar uses it to access these resources.

#10 2016-09-04 17:54:19

Laurentius

well, fortunately, the issue is solved. Thunar opens normally now.

I don't know exactly what solved it because i did two things and i'm not sure if i had check at each step.

1)First  i installed gvfs-backends. Before that there were only 3 files on that folder. Now, there are 22. I didn't edit any file.

2)Second, i could empty thrash with $gvfs-trash --empty

As i didn't edit the network.mount file, leaving AutoMount=true, i tend to believe that #2 did the work.

.xsession.errors did not show  much, only five lines:

/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
localuser:lauren being added to access control list
Script for none started at run_im.
Script for auto started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.

This was the comments on terminal when running thunar as su

lx-atom lauren # thunar
Thunar: Failed to initialize Xfconf: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)

[then, when i closed the thunar window :]

(thunar:2685): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(thunar:2685): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handler_disconnect: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
lx-atom lauren

No comments on terminal when running thunar as normal user. Even when it delayed. Just opens it and leave it.

thank you very much for your help. think the command to empty trash will be useful.

#11 2016-09-04 20:47:08

ToZ
Administrator

Laurentius wrote:

lx-atom lauren # thunar
Thunar: Failed to initialize Xfconf: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

[then, when i closed the thunar window :]

(thunar:2685): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(thunar:2685): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handler_disconnect: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
lx-atom lauren

How are you running thunar? Is it as root or in a root window?
If not, is xfconfd running?

These errors are not normal.

#12 2016-09-04 21:51:05

Laurentius

I'm not sure if i can tell the difference between running as root or in a root window?

I think i can run thunar through terminal in four different ways (tell me if not):

1- AS ROOT: switching to su, typing $su and the passwd. Then the prompt switches to #, as i tried to make clear on the post,  then typing thunar

2- AS USER WITH ELEVATED PERMISSIONS - if i run it as $sudo the terminal does not show nothing but remains somehow linked to thunar (it does't show the promt againt untill thunar window is closed)

3- ????? with gksudo (don't know what this is)

4- AS (common) USER: if i simply run $thunar, the terminal does't show no message, opens the thunar window and leaves it open, showing again the $, as being independent windows.

Eventhough, on the thunar window, whith methods 1, 2 & 3, a banner warnes that "you are using the root account" as if they were all the same

The messages on the box at my post come frome the #1 method.

Last edited by Laurentius (2016-09-04 21:58:42)

#13 2016-09-04 23:18:39

ToZ
Administrator

I see. Those message would display if you ran thunar as root (as per #1 and #2).

gksudo is the preferred method of running gui applications as root. You should always run root thunar as "gksudo thunar" (or "pkexec thunar" if your distro has created the necessary polkit files).

Board footer