Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-15 11:00:20

mysha

Hide mouse cursor on keyboard input.

Hi! Just tried Xfce (as of Xubuntu) and absolutely love it!

I've walked over all settings and googled a bit, but i cannot find how can i set mouse cursor to auto-hide when i start typing (in terminal for example) and show back on mouse move. Is there a way to do it?

Would be great to get some advice!

#2 2016-08-15 13:36:50

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Hide mouse cursor on keyboard input.

Hello and welcome.

From within Xfce, you can disable the touchpad while typing (the mouse cursor will still be visible though) via Settings Manager > Mouse and Touchpad > Devices tab > (select touchpad under devices) > Touchpad tab > "Disable touchpad while typing.

If you want the mouse cursor itself to disappear when typing, then the only way that I know to do this is by using a third party tool like xbanish.

Note: The touchpad tab is only available if you use the xf86-input-synaptics driver. If you don't use it, then you need to manually create a key to set it. See http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-setting … properties.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-08-16 05:33:24

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:

If you want the mouse cursor itself to disappear when typing, then the only way that I know to do this is by using a third party tool like xbanish.

It has been a long time since I read about it, so I could be mistaken. But I think that an app called Unclutter will auto-hide the mouse cursor whenever the mouse is not being used (not just when the user is typing, but at any time that the mouse is idle). This may or may not be what the OP is looking for.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2016-08-16 07:21:24

ozjd
Website

MountainDewManiac wrote:
ToZ wrote:

It has been a long time since I read about it, so I could be mistaken. But I think that an app called Unclutter will auto-hide the mouse cursor whenever the mouse is not being used (not just when the user is typing, but at any time that the mouse is idle). This may or may not be what the OP is looking for.

Regards,
MDM

Unclutter is still inthe Fedora repos and it does work so should be what the op wants.

#5 2016-08-16 08:24:07

mysha

Thank you all!
I will keep in mind unclutter and xbanish for occasion.
But as far as need to hide cursor only in graphical terminal emulator, for now i will install gnome-terminal or lxterminal, which have such configurable option.

Board footer