Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-23 19:08:22

ijklsd

xhost not working

I have just installed Slackware64 14.2 on one my systems, which comes up Xfce 4.12.1. I have come across the following issue in Xfce:

On this system (that I'll call A) I log in as myself at the console, and then I start my X session from my command line by invoking
'startx'. This automatically launches my Xfce session.

In this session I launch an XTerm and I type:

xhost +B

which prints out

B being added to access control list

where B is the IP address of some other system in the same network. I can log into B from A (and vice-versa) by ssh without any problems.

So from a separate XTerm in A I ssh into B, and from B's command line I issue the following command:

export DISPLAY=A:0.0

where represents here A's IP address. After that, in the same XTerm I type

xterm

and I get the following error message:

xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: A:0.0

This happens with any other application that I try to launch from B.

According to the 'ps' command. my X server in A is running as follows:

xinit /home/xxx/.xinitrc -- /usr/bin/X :0 -auth /home/xxx/.serverauth.20174
    /usr/libexec/Xorg :0 -auth /home/xxx/.serverauth.20174

where 'xxx' stands for my username. I.e. the X server does not seem to be running with '-nolisten'. Apart from this, the .xinitrc file is exactly the same that I have been using in a 14.1 system (running Xfce 4.10.1) for a long time now - and I do not observe the issue described here in that desktop.

Anybody know what may be going on? This behavior happens when trying to do the same thing from any other system in my network - it is not exclusive to B. The problem seems to be with the X server in A. What am I missing? How can this problem be solved?

#2 2016-08-23 20:10:04

ijklsd

Re: xhost not working

I think I have to start posting my questions as they arise, for it seems to be the case that I find the answer on my own immediately after posting the question.

The answer here, in case it helps anyone, is that in the version of the X server shipped with 14.2 the -nolisten tcp option is the default. If one is to start the X server directly with startx, in order for to listen to TCP connections (and for xhost to work as expected) one should do

startx -- -listen tcp

This is mentioned in

http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:window … inux2linux

Board footer