Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-28 12:56:48

KitchM

Visible Grid for Workspace Switcher

How does one create a visible grid within the workspace switcher?

#2 2016-10-28 15:16:16

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Visible Grid for Workspace Switcher

You can fiddle with gtkrc-2.0 settings. Here is what seems to have an effect:

style "pager"
{
        fg[NORMAL] = "#000000" 
        fg[PRELIGHT] = "#000000" 
        fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
        fg[INSENSITIVE] = "#000000"
        fg[SELECTED] = "#0000ff" #changes colour of outlines of the windows
        bg[NORMAL] = "#ffffff" #changes background colour of pager
        bg[PRELIGHT] = "#000000" #changes hover colour of non-current wspace
        bg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"
        bg[INSENSITIVE] = "#000000"
        bg[SELECTED] = "#000000" #changes background colour of current wspace
}
widget_class "*Pager*"             style "pager"
class "*Pager*"                    style "pager"

It doesn't appear that you can affect the grid directly, but if you change the background colour of the pager to a slightly different shade, the grid lines appear. Which theme are you using and can you post a screenshot?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2016-10-28 15:48:14

KitchM

The theme is greybird.  Sorry, but I do not see how to upload an image in this forum system.

Last edited by KitchM (2016-10-28 15:52:30)

#4 2016-10-28 16:58:22

ToZ
Administrator

KitchM wrote:

Sorry, but I do not see how to upload an image in this forum system.

Uploading an image:
First, upload your image to an image hosting site like imgur or zimagez. Then, post back the link that is generated. Please consider using the "small thumbnail" or "bb code" link that is provided by the image hosting site after your image has been uploaded. If you are using Xfce 4.12, you can also use xfce4-screenshooter (Screenshot) to automatically upload your screen shot to imgur or zimagez.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2016-10-28 17:41:42

KitchM

Bizarre!  Talk about a non-intuitive system.

Well, here it is.  I hope it works after all that effort.   (I'm beginning to feel like a trained dog after all the hoop-jumping.)

http://imgur.com/a/zShDS

#6 2016-10-28 18:04:06

ToZ
Administrator

There is a grid in there - just not that visible. You can try making the grid a little more visible by making the background colour of the pager lighter. To do so, edit (using root privileges) the file /usr/share/themes/Greybird/gtk-2.0/apps/xfce-panel.rc, and in the 'style "workspace-switcher" - "theme-panel"' section, change it to read:

style "workspace-switcher" = "theme-panel"
{
 	bg[ACTIVE]	= shade (0.8, @selected_bg_color)
	bg[SELECTED]	= shade (0.8, @selected_bg_color)
 	bg[NORMAL]	= "#404552"
}

It will make the lines a little more prominent. You can change the colour value (404552) to suit. I'm just taking a guess based on what I see.

I am unaware of a way to change the colour and/or thickness of the grid lines.

#7 2016-10-28 20:54:09

KitchM

Hey, you're awesome!  That did it, and it makes a whole lot more sense as a visual representation of the DE.  I now see how to change the colors if I desire.  I like the addition of the "active" line; very intuitive.  That should be a default setting.

One thing that is apparent now is that a full-screen program does not fill the whole desktop window in the Workspace Switcher.  Looks like a flaw.  What do you think?

BTW, I often wonder why there isn't a gui interface to make these changes.  It makes sense to allow the user to tweak any part of the DE.

Thanks very much.

#8 2016-10-28 23:32:13

ToZ
Administrator

KitchM wrote:

I like the addition of the "active" line; very intuitive.  That should be a default setting.

The active line exists in the latest version of the greybird theme. Perhaps you're using a distro that is using an older version of the theme.

One thing that is apparent now is that a full-screen program does not fill the whole desktop window in the Workspace Switcher.  Looks like a flaw.  What do you think?

It looks like it just colours the whole grid section and puts the icon of the application in the centre of the grid. That would be the way its designed.

BTW, I often wonder why there isn't a gui interface to make these changes.  It makes sense to allow the user to tweak any part of the DE.

I guess because no-one has ever written such a gui interface. It would be quite an undertaking. Especially with the way that GTK keeps changing.

#9 2017-05-30 10:25:15

mozhan

hey it is old topic but i just want to ask question because it is a little related. I want to change or add the color of 'border of every pager' or adding border with spacial color is it possible?

Board footer