Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-11-23 17:35:24

JHawk

Panel Disappeared

While upgrading from Fedora Core 19 to 20, I accidentally got rid of the XFCE panel (long story), and no matter what I try, I can't get it back.  I have tried everything I've seen on various sites, but nothing works.  I deleted the .config/xfce4 directory, and restarted the system, hoping that it would ask to configure it, but it didn't.  I have gone so far as to move the .config/xfce4 directories (both in my home directory and root) from another system running the same OS, but it didn't help.  When I try to run xfce4-panel, I get a segmentation fault.  The workspaces are there, and I can toggle between them and move various applications to them, but the panel at the top refuses to appear.

Any ideas?

#2 2016-11-23 21:54:52

ozjd
Website

Re: Panel Disappeared

As Fedora 20 (Not Fedora Core since FC6) has been EOL for ages I'm surprised you could even upgrade to it. You are better off installing one of the current supported versions, 24 or 25.

However for your question try removing the cache, delete the contents of ~/.cache/session. You have an old version of Xfce so you will need to do it from outside of Xfce.

#3 2016-11-24 18:15:10

JHawk1

It's even worse now.  I deleted the ~/.cache/sessions directory (from a root Gnome session).  Now when I boot to my user name in xfce, it shows only a grey screen.  I rebooted into root and looked the messages file in /var/log and saw that xfce4-panel was aborting with a segfault - error 14. 

I know that I'm several versions behind.  I tried to install 22 when it was current and for some reason (which I have now forgotten) was unable to.  I was hoping to do it incrementally.. Is there a way I can start over with xfce4 for this version of the OS.  yum uninstall and then install again?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

#4 2016-11-24 21:40:32

ozjd
Website

I don't know if the repos even still exist but if they do you could try yum reinstall @xfce

#5 2021-12-16 03:39:00

Mellowbob

I'm a little late for this party (by 6 years?) ... but I had the same happen to me. All I did was delete a panel launcher for thunar. Panel disappeared and I could not get it back. Error messages about no service for org.xfce4.panel (going from memory ... but it was something like that). Read this thread and removed the cache files ... and all's wonderful.

But that got me thinking ... would it be useful to have a start-xfce4-without-cache option in LightDM? For a new user it must be intimidating to have to log out of xfce4, open a VT, find/delete cache files and then log in??

Board footer