Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-01 08:49:59

adamovic

bottom of the window hides behind the panel

I have a problem that panel on the bottom hides bottom part of the active window (so for example, I don't see in chrome url on hover which standardly displays on bottom of the window).

I'm running xfce4-about 4.12.1 (Xfce 4.12) on Manjaro (based on Arch linux).

Any solution?

#2 2017-02-01 11:31:04

peter.48

Re: bottom of the window hides behind the panel

Look at panel propertys,first tab, eventualy uncheck last option in "General"(something like: "no reserv space on edge")

#3 2017-02-01 14:05:13

adamovic

There is no such option as long as I can see: Panel right click Properties has only "Style" property, while Panel right click "Panel Preferences" has under "Display" tab Mode, Lock panel, Automatically hide the panel, Don't reserve space on borders and Measurements.

It might be unwanted feature rather than bug since the documentation for Intelligent hidding shows:
Intelligently
"Hide the panel when the currently focused window overlaps with the panel's position."

Notice the word "overlaps".

#4 2017-02-01 14:10:25

ToZ
Administrator

@peter.48 is referring to the "Don't reserve space on borders" option. Ensure that it is unchecked. The result will be that the window doesn't go under the panel.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2017-02-01 14:19:58

adamovic

"Don't reserve space on borders"  - that was it. But honestly, although I'm not a native speaker I think this doesn't sound as a correct definition, "Don't reserve space for panel" would sound better.

#6 2019-01-17 15:42:02

kraxor

This option (and the problem it causes) is so cryptic and annoying that I actually registered to this forum just so I can make my voice heard.

#7 2020-06-06 09:26:13

Arin

Unfortunately "Don't reserve space on borders" didn't work for me. I'm not sure if it even did something.
The workaround I used was setting the bottom Workspace margin equal to the panel height.

And it worked

#8 2020-12-26 21:05:31

loremipsum

For me, the "solution" was to arrange the displays side-by-side.

I have a two monitor setup, laptop and external.  When the external is placed anywhere above the laptop within Settings > Display, the panel on the external monitor overlaps the bottom of all maximized windows on that screen (e.g. can't see the line edit of Firefox's find functionality).

It looks like I have xfce 4.12.2 (can only confirm xfce4-panel 4.12.2).  It's whatever comes with Debian Buster 10.

#9 2022-01-24 08:29:40

Oucham

Hello!

Me also, I'm registering in this forum just to make my voice heard.
I agree it is not a clear option text to reserve space for the panel.

In addition to the option above, the problem for me was caused by a second panel (panel nr 2, from default installation of Xcfe4 in Ubuntu) which was set to "intelligently" hide. Thus I did not see it from start.

My main panel (nr 1) was set to reserve space, and I placed it on bottom edge of my screen (the same location as for panel nr 2). Despite the correct settings on panel nr1, maximized windows where covered by panel nr 1.

The solution was: change settings for panel nr 2 to reserve space, or move it somewhere else, or as I did: remove it smile

Conclusion: if you have two horizontal panels on bottom of your screen, both must be set to reserve space. It is not enough to make the setting for just one of these. Since it is not possible to select automatic or intelligent hide option AND reserve space at the same time, you must have both panels always not hidden.

Ubuntu: 20.04, hosted on VirtualBox
Xfce: 4.14
xfce4-panel 4.14.3 (Xfce 4.14)

#10 2023-01-05 21:00:43

doomster

Regarding this problem,
I have found that this occurs if you have 2 displays. The display the panel is on, has to be the one that is lowest. i currently have my main display (27" horizontal) and a vertical display on its right. since  the vertical display goes lower than the main display (horizontal) the bar hides the full screen items below it. If i move the vertical display so that its bottom side is at the same height as the horizontal main display, then the overlay works correctly.
Two pictures below show the problem, you will see the display position ajustment, along with a webpage that has a footer so that you can see whats happening.

Does anyone know any solutions on this?
panel space not reserved
panel space reserved

EDIT: working on ubuntu latest + XFCE 4,16

Last edited by doomster (2023-01-05 21:02:44)

Board footer