Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-19 19:35:28

gadams

[SEARCH] Content in files

Hello!

As I work with reports, I need to search for words in a folder full of files (.docx) in Dropbox folder, I can not do that on thunar and neither with Catfish. I read about Recoll, Search Monkey, etc.. But none of them works! Do I have any other options? Could it be permission error?

When I go to index the files with the recoll, it shows error exactly in the files of the dropbox folder.

Thanks!!

#2 2017-02-19 23:53:29

alcornoqui

Re: [SEARCH] Content in files

Recoll has always worked great for me, have you checked the document types info?

Other formats

The following need miscellaneous helper programs to decode the internal formats.

MS Word with antiword. It is also useful to have wvWare installed
as it may be be used as a fallback for some files which antiword does not handle.

Antiword should be on your default repositories.

Good luck, and tell us how it goes!

#3 2017-02-20 13:31:05

gadams

alcornoqui wrote:

Recoll has always worked great for me, have you checked the document types info?

Other formats

The following need miscellaneous helper programs to decode the internal formats.

MS Word with antiword. It is also useful to have wvWare installed
as it may be be used as a fallback for some files which antiword does not handle.

Antiword should be on your default repositories.

Good luck, and tell us how it goes!

alcornoqui! Thanks for the help!
I installed the antiword but it did not work, the recoll still dont indexing any .docx file:( I will try install wvWare now smile

#4 2017-02-20 15:58:16

alcornoqui

Sorry to hear that... I just tried myself and it works for me in Xubuntu 16.04 with Recoll 1.21.5.

Did you check for missing helpers? From the docs:

Other file types (ie: postscript, pdf, ms-word, rtf ...) need external applications for preprocessing. The list is in the installation section. After every indexing operation, Recoll updates a list of commands that would be needed for indexing existing files types. This list can be displayed by selecting the menu option File → Show Missing Helpers in the recoll GUI. It is stored in the missing text file inside the configuration directory.

Did you try rebuilding the index (File > Rebuild Index) once antiword was installed?

#5 2017-02-20 17:18:46

k-3.14

I use midnight commander, which has a build in search function.

#6 2017-02-21 16:16:44

alcornoqui

I use midnight commander, which has a build in search function.

Interesting, is mc using docx2txt, like this? It's not an automatic dependency for me.

OP seems partial to GUI apps, but it's a neat option too, thanks!

Board footer