Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-17 09:07:01

vilde

Random wallpaper does not go through all wallpaper in folder?

This will be my first post  in this forum.

In Desktop Settings, wallpaper I have picked a folder with +400 photos, set the interval to 2 minutes and checked the random box.

By reading this site https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/usage and this text "......Finally, you can check the Random Order box to tell xfdesktop to shuffle the order of the images as it cycles through them." That makes me think that it shall cycle through all the photos in the folder in random order before it starts over again.

Two minutes for each photo makes 30 each hour, say ten hours a day that make 300 photos a day. With over 400 photos in the folder it would be that the same photo never should came up more than one time each day but that's not the case. It happens a lot of times that the same photo will appear many times a day.

Can someone explain this and/or help me to make the my wallpaper really cycle the whole amount of the photos before starting over again?

#2 2017-06-17 09:47:45

Jerry3904

Re: Random wallpaper does not go through all wallpaper in folder?

It happens a lot of times that the same photo will appear many times a day.

That's the meaning of "random;" you are thinking of "random without duplication," a different matter. Somebody else here will have to speak on whether that can be done with your wallpaper directory. I do see some links about this that might be helpful:

https://www.howtoforge.com/xfce_desktop … er_changer

https://askubuntu.com/questions/414422/ … in-xubuntu, with interesting comments.

Last edited by Jerry3904 (2017-06-17 10:00:58)

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#3 2017-06-17 10:20:09

vilde

Jerry3904 wrote:

It happens a lot of times that the same photo will appear many times a day.

That's the meaning of "random;" you are thinking of "random without duplication," a different matter. Somebody else here will have to speak on whether that can be done with your wallpaper directory. I do see some links about this that might be helpful:

https://www.howtoforge.com/xfce_desktop … er_changer

https://askubuntu.com/questions/414422/ … in-xubuntu, with interesting comments.

Yes, I know this, a real random generator doesn't remember what has been before, it's just random. But as I read the text "cycle through them" I thought that it really is a "random without duplication" like a "random" playback in most music-players it will the cycle through all songs before starting over again.

What I want to know is if the function is a real random generator or if it is a random without duplication because if it's the later it's not working properly.

And I want the developer(s) to know that there is at least one user that  wants the "random without duplication" function

And thank you for the links, I shall have a closer look at them later. I remember that I have used some script before,, but that was more complicated.

One of the benefits of the xfce wallpaper random function is that it's very easy to remove or add wallpapers, it's just to add or remove the files from the folder, I like that. smile

#4 2017-06-17 10:31:12

Jerry3904

What I want to know is if the function is a real random generator or if it is a random without duplication because if it's the later it's not working properly.

I just ran a quick test using "Change the background" and selecting 1 minute intervals but not clicking "random." That appears to go through the folder of wallpapers one at a time. Wouldn't that give you what you want?

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#5 2017-06-17 10:39:27

vilde

Jerry3904 wrote:

I just ran a quick test using "Change the background" and selecting 1 minute intervals but not clicking "random." That appears to go through the folder of wallpapers one at a time. Wouldn't that give you what you want?

No, I want it to be random, it becames boring after a time if I know what photo is coming up next. (I use this function on a big tv-screen in my living room, It's the main movie and music center of the house)

#6 2017-06-17 12:21:38

ToZ
Administrator

Here is a solution that another Xfce'r came up with.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#7 2017-06-18 10:32:14

vilde

ToZ wrote:

Here is a solution that another Xfce'r came up with.

Thank you ToZ, I got this to work and will use this as a workaround as long as there is no change in xfce.

#8 2017-06-19 09:04:31

vilde

I did make a Feature request in bugzilla about having the option to make the random wallpaper to be random without duplication.

I hope I did right, I have never made a new entry to bugzilla before?

#9 2019-03-10 14:02:42

vilde

Hi

I would like to know if there has been any progress in making the XFCE default random wallpaper work properly yet?

It's now nearly two years since the last post here. I'm still using the script linked to earlier in this topic, but the script is getting old and maybe will not work so long, maybe it will I have no clue. The best would be if I could use the XFCE inbuilt feature.

#10 2019-03-10 20:07:53

ToZ
Administrator

Nothing new. Here is a bug report. You may want to add your name and comment to the list.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer