Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-03 03:38:51

coldscientist

xfce4-mixer step sound intensity

Hello guys,

Before starting, I really want to say sorry for my bad english.

I decided to move to Linux but I'm having a little problem in Debian 8 Jessie. The sound works perfectly, but there is something that is really boring me. I decided to record the screen to make it better to understand:

giphy.gif

Note that when I'm most from the half of the bar it is still volume 20, but near from the top it starting uping too fast. the sound intensity until reach 100%. It is bad because when I need to low the sound and select half of the bar, for example, instead of it stay 50% of the sound, it goto 20%, if I want to set it more than 50%, I have to change the bar more than half of the bar.

I'm using a HP ProBook 4530s with HDA Intel PCH (Alsa mixer) - Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller. In Windows, it uses IDT driver and the volume bar works normally.

I already check xfce4-mixer git, but I couldn't create a 4.11 on Debian Jessie 8 (some dependencies requires a higher version from installed ones, but it breaks all the system) and I didn't found apparently any fix for it on the commits. I'm using xfce4-mixer 4.10 from Debian 8 Jessie official repo on AMD_64.

Sorry if I posted on the wrong place,
Thanks for any help.

#2 2017-07-04 16:36:40

sixsixfive
Website

Re: xfce4-mixer step sound intensity

any reason why you use pulseaudio? you can use all features with alsa except bluetooth audio since bluez only support pulseaudio

anyway if you use pulseaudio then use a pulseaudio mixer like pavucontrol, ncpamixer, pamix, pacmixer, pulsemixer etc... , if you want to use alsa then use alsamixer you can also go up and down with the page up/down keys you could also finetune you alsa settings with amixer https://linux.die.net/man/1/amixer

#3 2017-07-04 22:48:04

coldscientist

No reason, it becomes by default in my distribution. I posted here in hope that someone had the same trouble than mine and had found some solution (I tried google it but didn't find anyone with a trouble near mine). I really want to have a sound control that is compatible with XFCE interface. xfce4-mixer function nicely, but I'm having this little "problem" that the sound only starts to increase in the final of the bar (before that, it increases too little). It is hard to set correctly the sound on this way.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will give a look on them!

#4 2017-07-05 00:50:43

coldscientist

I could find the solution for my problem in Arch Wiki (PulseAudio), in "No sound below a volume cutoff". In Alsamixer it changes correctly (as shown in gif), but in pavucontrol it doesn't, so I starting searching about PulseAudio and found Arch Wiki (PulseAudio) page. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu … k_properly

Basically, edit /etc/pulse/default.pa
Search 'load-module module-udev-detect' and replace this line with 'load-module module-udev-detect ignore_dB=1'

There is a section called "Volume adjustment does not work properly" that may help someone (I tried this section first, but only "No sound below a volume cutoff" worked for me.

Board footer