Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-30 12:29:01

Friedrich

Add new buttons to xfce4-session-logout

Hi,

i'm using 3 os on my machine (xubuntu, kubuntu and windows 7). normally i use xubuntu. i want to add 2 extra buttons to the xfce4-session-logout window to directly reboot into kubuntu or windows using 'grub-reboot'. that means when i press one of the extra buttons xubuntu sets the changes settings to 'grubenv' and reboots

sudo grub-reboot "Kubuntu" && sudo reboot

can i edit this window in this way?

how can i use this command without having to enter the password? when i shutdown or restart the computer i don't need it.

friedrich

#2 2017-07-30 17:23:58

ToZ

Re: Add new buttons to xfce4-session-logout

Friedrich wrote:

can i edit this window in this way?

Unfortunately, no. These options are hard coded. However, you can create your own logout launcher. Using zenity:

zenity  --title "Save With Exit" --height 300 --width 200 --list  --text "Log Out: $USER" --radiolist  --column " " --column "Method" TRUE Logout FALSE Shutdown FALSE Reboot FALSE Suspend FALSE Hibernate FALSE "Lock Screen" FALSE "Reboot Kubuntu"

...or yad:

yad  --window-icon=system-devices-panel-information --on-top --sticky --fixed --center --width 200 --entry --title "Xfce Exit" --text "\nSelect an action:\n" --image=xfce4_xicon3 --image-on-top --button="gtk-ok:0" --button="gtk-cancel:1" --text-align center --entry-text  "Logout" "Reboot" "Suspend" "Hibernate" "Power Off" "Lock Screen" "Reboot Kubuntu"

The full code snippet would look like this:

#!/bin/bash

### Uncomment either the zenity or yad command

#ans=$(zenity  --title "Save With Exit" --height 300 --width 200 --list  --text "Log Out: $USER" --radiolist  --column " " --column "Method" TRUE Logout FALSE Shutdown FALSE Reboot FALSE Suspend FALSE Hibernate FALSE "Lock Screen" FALSE "Reboot Kubuntu")

#ans=$(yad  --window-icon=system-devices-panel-information --on-top --sticky --fixed --center --width 200 --entry --title "Xfce Exit" --text "\nSelect an action:\n" --image=xfce4_xicon3 --image-on-top --button="gtk-ok:0" --button="gtk-cancel:1" --text-align center --entry-text  "Logout" "Reboot" "Suspend" "Hibernate" "Power Off" "Lock Screen" "Reboot Kubuntu")

[[ $ret -eq 1 ]] && exit 0

case $ans in 
	Logout*)
		xfce4-session-logout -l
	;;
	Power*)
		xfce4-session-logout -h
	;;
	Reboot)
		xfce4-session-logout -r
	;;
	Suspend*)
		xfce4-session-logout -s
	;;
	Hibernate*)
		xfce4-session-logout --hibernate
	;;
    	Lock*)
        	xflock4
	;;
	Reboot\ Kubuntu)
		sudo grub-reboot "Kubuntu" 
		xfce4-session-logout -r		
    	;;
	*)
	;;
esac
exit 0

...just uncomment the code line to use either zenity or yad. For the sudo command to work, see below.

how can i use this command without having to enter the password? when i shutdown or restart the computer i don't need it.

You can configure sudo to allow non-password authentication to certain commands. To do so, add something like this to your sudo configs:

%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/grub-reboot

...for all members of the wheel group to have non-password access to the command, or for only one user:

YOUR_USER_NAME ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/grub-reboot

...and change YOUR_USER_NAME to your actual user name. Where to place this command may be dependent on your distro. For Arch linux, I would create the file /etc/sudoers.d/grub-reboot and put the contents there.

When you've done all that, create a new launcher on your panel and point it to this executable.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

Board footer