Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-07 02:38:54

firosiro

Unable to put icons/shortcuts on desktop

I'm not a new XFCE user but am coming back to it after 4 or more years...   Gave up on kubuntu 15.04 with it's default of Plasma 5 now.   XFCE is like an old friend.
But I would like to put 'launcher' icons on the desktop and am confused.  If I put the desktop into File/launcher mode, I get icons for EVERY file in my home directory...  which is not what I want and makes a total mess out of the desktop.   I just tried to "create launcher"  which sounds good, I could find the result on the desktop maybe because there was no room left for the icon.
Is there any other setting which will allow me to build and place just launcher icons on the desktop?
Thanks

Last edited by firosiro (2017-08-07 02:42:21)

#2 2017-08-07 02:56:12

MountainDewManiac

Re: Unable to put icons/shortcuts on desktop

Do you mean regular "double-click to run an app" launcher icons? If so, I just find the app in the Whisper menu, right-click on it, and select "Add to Desktop."

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2017-08-07 03:01:46

ToZ

Re: Unable to put icons/shortcuts on desktop

Hello and welcome.

firosiro wrote:

If I put the desktop into File/launcher mode, I get icons for EVERY file in my home directory...

Sounds like your xdg-dirs config is off. Run the following command to see where xdg thinks your desktop is (probably your home directory):

xdg-user-dir DESKTOP

If it doesn't point to your desktop, run the following to reset it:

xdg-user-dirs-update --set DESKTOP ~/Desktop

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

Board footer