Xfce Forum

Sub domains
 

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-30 11:42:21

mabra
Member
Registered: 2015-09-05
Posts: 36

Extra functionaly for the curser (show position, color, size)

Hi All!

Most of my workspaces are completely filled with terminals.
And I do not find my cursor - my screen is 30" with 2560 resolution.

Changing the theme under mouse does not offer an alternative.
I can change the theme and make the cursor a little larger.

What would help:
- show a circle around the corsor, if <ctrl> is pressed on the keyboard
- dont switch into another style over terminals (from pointer to cursor(!??))
- make it RED.

Any thoughts?

Thanks anyway,
Manfred

Offline

#2 2017-08-30 20:36:44

MountainDewManiac
Member
From: USA police-state welfare-state
Registered: 2013-03-24
Posts: 845

Re: Extra functionaly for the curser (show position, color, size)

I'd think you could change the mouse cursor theme and make it red that way.

This doesn't highlight your mouse cursor per se, but if you cannot find it, press Alt-F1 - the menu will pop up in such a location that your mouse cursor is at one of its corners. Then you can press Escape to remove the menu.

I just had a look at Xfce's Mouse and Touchpad settings GUI and didn't see any option for causing the mouse to become highlighted in some way when a key such as Ctrl is pressed. Which is somewhat sad, since even Microsoft's desktops have had this feature for years roll - but perhaps I merely looked in the wrong place? Have you tried looking in {menu}/Settings/Accessibility for such an option? I just did, but the user must check a box to enable that option set, then log out and back in in order to even see them (for whatever strange and unusual reason, they do not even appear as a grayed-out list before the set is enabled).

Regards,
MDM


Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Offline

#3 2017-08-30 22:22:57

ozjd
Member
From: Hawkesbury NSW Australia
Registered: 2012-02-05
Posts: 426
Website

Re: Extra functionaly for the curser (show position, color, size)

You don't say if it is Xfce terminals you are using but I'm guessing it is. In the recent versions there is an option in Preferences - Advanced - to auto-hide the mouse pointer. If that is selected there won't be visible mouse pointer.

Offline

#4 2017-08-31 05:25:50

mabra
Member
Registered: 2015-09-05
Posts: 36

Re: Extra functionaly for the curser (show position, color, size)

Hi !

Thanks for your reply!

MountainDewManiac wrote:

I'd think you could change the mouse cursor theme and make it red that way.

I already tried this, but there is no way, to make the cursor/pointer red. I have two themes and both are black and white.

MountainDewManiac wrote:

This doesn't highlight your mouse cursor per se, but if you cannot find it, press Alt-F1 - the menu will pop up in such a location that your mouse cursor is at one of its corners. Then you can press Escape to remove the menu.

Thanks. Bad solution [no affront in mind], but if there is nothing better - really good idea!

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Have you tried looking in {menu}/Settings/Accessibility for such an option? I just did, but the user must check a box to enable that option set, then log out and back in in order to even see them (for whatever strange and unusual reason, they do not even appear as a grayed-out list before the set is enabled).

Ok, will try this. I know this dialog, clicked it once upon a time, to see what happens.
It just enabled some checkboxes, which gave me nothing.
Although it could be seen as a plus, that the pointer changes to a cursor over terminals,
a pointer (instead of the cursor) would not be really nice, but solve the problem.

Will look after next logout - but this may be some weeks later ...

Regards,
Manfred

Offline

#5 2017-08-31 05:38:06

mabra
Member
Registered: 2015-09-05
Posts: 36

Re: Extra functionaly for the curser (show position, color, size)

Hi !

Thanks for your reply!

ozjd wrote:

You don't say if it is Xfce terminals you are using but I'm guessing it is. In the recent versions there is an option in Preferences - Advanced - to auto-hide the mouse pointer. If that is selected there won't be visible mouse pointer.

I am using a mixture, mostly KDEs konsole, but both behave the same.
I never saw, what you mentioned, and looked again. Its not there.
That brought me to the idea, to have a deeper look into the konsole.
The same there, can change the cursor, but not the mousepointer.
I am using debian jessie with xfce 4.10.1.
This box is about to reinstall with Stretch, which has xfce 4.12.3.
But currently, I dont have it.

In my original post, I was not tooo clear about cursor and mousepointer.
I always meant the mousepointer.

Thanks anyway,

Manfred

Offline

#6 2017-08-31 16:48:17

MountainDewManiac
Member
From: USA police-state welfare-state
Registered: 2013-03-24
Posts: 845

Re: Extra functionaly for the curser (show position, color, size)

mabra wrote:
MountainDewManiac wrote:

I'd think you could change the mouse cursor theme and make it red that way.

I already tried this, but there is no way, to make the cursor/pointer red. I have two themes and both are black and white.

Oh, have the developers removed that functionality? This appears to be a "red mouse cursor theme," but from the dates of the comments, it's a number of years old:

https://www.xfce-look.org/p/999695/

And this seems to give the general location if the user wishes to change colors him/herself:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-customize-color-for-mouse-pointer-for-xfce/22308

Regards,
MDM


Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB