Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-02 09:51:53

ddwmusic

Many, many menu items disappeared

I am using Ubuntu Studio 16.04 -- XFCE version 4.12.

Ubuntu Studio adds some custom categories to the menu system, for audio, video and print media software.

Sometime today -- I have no idea when or what I might have done just before -- all of the menu items within the categories vanished. The categories remain -- if I go to Menu Editor, I can see categories:

- Audio Production
  - Audio Utilities
  - Effects
  - Instruments
  - Midi Utilities
  - Mixers and Cards
- Graphic Design
  - Photography
  - Utilities
- Video Production

But all of these categories are now empty.

Any suggestions? I can re-create the critical ones by hand, but I worry I will have this kind of surprise again in the future.

Thanks,
James

#2 2017-09-02 10:14:58

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Many, many menu items disappeared

If you want to restore the default menu set, rename the ~/.config/menus folder (to something like "menus.old"). You may have to log out and back in again.

If that doesn't work, try looking at the .desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications to see if they have "NoDisplay=true" in them.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2017-09-03 02:02:00

ddwmusic

Aha, I didn't know that was stored there.

That seems to have done the trick -- and I didn't even lose a couple of custom menu items that I had created by hand.

Still no idea why, but at least I can fix it if it happens again. Thanks!

James

#4 2017-09-18 05:48:55

ddwmusic

Just happened again. It might be that I created a custom menu item, and "Menu Editor" saved it incorrectly?

Anyway I would like to be able to add launchers without breaking the menu system. Are there bug reports for this?

James

#5 2017-09-18 10:02:21

ToZ
Administrator

One thing to keep in mind: Xfce does not have, as part of it's code base, a menu editor. In fact, the documentation talks about manually changing menu items only.

That being said, there are menu editors available that integrate into Xfce. It is with these products that you would need to post your bug reports. Depending on the menu editor you are using, here are their project pages:

- menulibre = https://launchpad.net/menulibre
- alacarte = https://launchpad.net/alacarte
- xame = https://bitbucket.org/Red_Squirrel/xfce … tor/issues

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer