Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-11 00:14:32

HippoMan

Analyzing and possibly disabling System Error Report popups

I have recently installed XFCE4 on a new machine running Ubuntu 16.04.3. It is working fine, in general, but I am noticing system error report popups during login. As my login is taking place and my workspace is coming up on the screen, I get dialog boxes which state that a system error occurred, and I am asked whether I want to send an error report, or just ignore the error. These dialog boxes offer no information about what errors actually occurred, aside from each one being a "System Error", and they do not specify where these reports are being sent, if I choose the send-report option.

I want to (1) understand the details of each error that is being reported, so I can possibly correct it, and (2) disable these popups if they are nothing more than warnings.

I have checked all the logs in /var/log for any messages that occur during boot-up and login, and I see nothing that I can correlate to these error report dialog boxes.

I assume that these are XFCE4 dialog boxes, but if not, then can anyone suggest where they might be coming from?

Thank you very much in advance.

#2 2017-12-11 00:25:27

HippoMan

Re: Analyzing and possibly disabling System Error Report popups

I found that these are apparently Ubuntu popups that are unreladed to XFCE, themselves, and that I can disable these popups by editing `/etc/default/apport` and setting `enabled=0`.

I'd still like to learn what errors are being reported in each case. Saying "System Error" and nothing else is totally useless.

However, I now see that this is not an XFCE issue, so I'll take this discussion elsewhere ... although I'll leave this thread up, in case anyone else might find it useful.

Board footer