Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-11 09:35:47

frpatte

login fails for one user

Bonjour,

I use xfce4 and lightdm as display manager.

For one user, the login fails with this message in lightdm.log:

Authenticate result for user cath  : User not known to the underlying
authentication module

What is this mysterious "underlying authentication module" ? And how can I find any clue to solve this problem?

Thank you.

F.P.

P.S. This user is known and has a password set and can connect through ssh.

#2 2018-02-11 16:36:21

ToZ
Administrator

Re: login fails for one user

lightdm isn't an Xfce component, so you may have more luck asking in a support forum for lightdm.

I can speak briefly from my experience. Lightdm will use accountsservice for authentication if you have it installed. Check to see if it is. If so, I believe (IIRC) it stores it's user account info in /var/lib/AccountsService/users. Compare the account info for cath against one that works.

If you are not using accountsservice, then lightdm is managing the authentication. Have a look at /etc/lightdm/users.conf.

Can the user log in from a virtual console (Ctrl+Alt_Fx) right on the computer (not using lightdm and not through ssh, but local)?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-02-12 09:54:06

MountainDewManiac

ToZ wrote:

lightdm isn't an Xfce component, so you may have more luck asking in a support forum for lightdm.

Or, if LDM is part of your distro, perhaps asking about it in that distro's community support forum would be helpful. I use Mint, and the newest version has switched from GDM to LDM (I think). I have seen threads (there) from people who wanted to learn something about LDM, wondered why the change from one to the other occurred, and wanting instructions for switching their setup back to the previous manager.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#4 2018-02-12 17:16:27

frpatte

ToZ wrote:

I can speak briefly from my experience. Lightdm will use accountsservice for authentication if you have it installed. Check to see if it is. If so, I believe (IIRC) it stores it's user account info in /var/lib/AccountsService/users. Compare the account info for cath against one that works.

Ok! Thank you, this worked: I created manually the missing file for this particular user, and she can now log-in.

I am wondering why adduser did not created the associated file in /var/lib/AccountsService/users (I deleted and recreated the account for this user, but the file was still missing.

F.P.

#5 2018-02-12 21:04:11

ToZ
Administrator

frpatte wrote:

I am wondering why adduser did not created the associated file in /var/lib/AccountsService/users (I deleted and recreated the account for this user, but the file was still missing.

I just installed lightdm and accountsservice and did a test. The corresponding file was not created until after the new user logged in, but the login was successful. I'm not sure what went wrong on your system. If you can replicate the issue you should create a bug report against the accountsservice package.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer