Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-13 21:12:52

xaxazak

(support or themes?) - make active panel tab darker [GTK3, SOLVED]

=== UPDATED - See post #4 ===

Wasn't sure if this should go in the Support or Theme subforum as it fits both. Feel free to move it.

I just wanted to change the color of the active panel tab as it's almost the same color as the inactive ones. I'm using theme Adwaita theme.
I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how to do this and gave up when I hit /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0/gtk.css: /* Adwaita is the default theme of GTK+ 3, this file is not used */, and a message saying the values are stored in a binary...
I don't want to change to a new theme, I like this one best (even with the above issue unfixed).

Can someone please tell me exactly where I need to enter my hex color code (and, only if you feel like it, explain why it's so very complicated to do something that's IMHO so simple).
Also, I guess I just use "xfce4-panel -r" to update? If not, please tell me what I should do to avoid needing to logout.

Thanks,
Simon.

Last edited by xaxazak (2019-05-15 00:09:12)

#2 2018-02-14 00:24:20

ToZ
Administrator

Re: (support or themes?) - make active panel tab darker [GTK3, SOLVED]

Do you have an xfce4-panel version built with GTK2 or GTK3 (only the newer development versions of xfce4-panel are built with GTK3 and use css files)?

ldd $(which xfce4-panel) | grep -i gtk

The GTK2 version will use the config files in /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0 or ~/.gtkrc-2.0.

I just wanted to change the color of the active panel tab as it's almost the same color as the inactive ones. I'm using theme Adwaita theme.

For GTK2, Adwaita uses the pixmap engine for drawing the relief and colours on the window buttons (or tasklist) plugin. The actual asset files are located in the assets directory.

For GTK3, it uses gtk.css.

Also, I guess I just use "xfce4-panel -r" to update? If not, please tell me what I should do to avoid needing to logout.

Yes, "xfce4-panel -r" will force a re-read of the GTK configuration files.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-02-14 02:19:26

xaxazak

Thanks for that.

libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 sad

Hmm, so the colors are baked into images for 2.0, but not for 3.0?
Well that answers the question as to why it's so hard, I guess.

For anyone else looking, I made a button here: https://imgur.com/a/LfXDG
Replace "/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/assets/button-active.png" with this one. (At least, that's where it is on Xubuntu - remember to back up the original first).

Last edited by xaxazak (2018-02-14 02:37:19)

#4 2019-05-14 07:08:18

xaxazak

Now that I'm on 18.10, Adwaita is using GTK3 AFAICT, so my old GTK2 button image is ignored.

I've been down 2 paths to try and fix it with GTK3, but both were dead ends.

So, same question for GTK3:
I just wanted to change the color of the active panel tab as it's almost the same color as the inactive ones.
Can someone please tell me exactly where I need to enter my hex color code - which .css file and which value do I need to modify? (and, only if you feel like it, explain why it's so very complicated (on GTK3 this time) to do something that's IMHO so simple).

Thanks,
Simon.

#5 2019-05-14 15:08:01

ToZ
Administrator

This one took some time to dig out...

Try the following in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

.xfce4-panel.background .tasklist button:checked {
   background-image: none;
   background-color: #ac9190;
}

You'll need to restart the panel for it to take effect.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#6 2019-05-15 00:08:46

xaxazak

@ToZ: Thanks, that works perfectly.

Board footer