Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-15 17:10:08

trk204

Alternate config location other then ~/.config [SOLVED}

Greetings xfce world,  fair warning our shop is currently a kde4 shop and we're kicking the tires at moving over to xfce rather then kde5.

We are running about 50 debian workstations with /home NFS mounted in a lab environment,  with all machines configured the same.  We have one server that serves up vncserver sessions for a handfull of windows users to have access to our linux apps when at their desk and not in the lab.  Those windows users have their linux home directories served up to windows via smb.

The issue is that when the windows users are in the lab,  they login to the linux boxes with the shared NFS home directory.  So they have 2 kde config directories.  /home/testuser/.kde and /home/testuser/.kde-vnc.   Reason being is there is just a lot of configuration differences in the vnc sessions then the local sessions,  vnc sessions are always active and having that user log in to a workstation while the vnc session is running will clobber and confuse kde if sharing the same config directory.

I'm able to get around that be redefining a couple env vars in the xstartup of the vnc session like so

export KDEDIR=$HOME/.kde-vnc
export KDEHOME=$HOME/.kde-vnc

Now this was all setup before the XDG standards started really getting honored and DM's started using ~/.config.

So my question,  is there a way to define an alternative to the default ~/.config location when firing up xfce?  I don't see any env vars while running to redefine,  and I'm not 100% sure where to look with XDG standards.

Thanks!

Last edited by trk204 (2018-03-16 16:11:26)

#2 2018-03-15 17:46:27

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Alternate config location other then ~/.config [SOLVED}

Hello and welcome.

According to the XDG Specification you can set XDG_CONFIG_HOME to redirect it to another directory. Also look at the other XDG environment variables, you might want to change some of those as well.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-03-16 16:02:04

trk204

Re: Alternate config location other then ~/.config [SOLVED}

Awsome thanks for pointing me in the right direction ToZ!

For reference,  here is my xstartup that created the proper alternate config dirs

#!/bin/bash

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey

. /etc/profile
export SHELL=/bin/bash
export XDG_DATA_HOME=$HOME/.local-vnc/share
export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=$HOME/.config-vnc
export XDG_CACHE_HOME=$HOME/.cache-vnc

#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#x-window-manager &
vnc4config -nowin &
startxfce4 &