Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-20 13:29:12

narmod
Website

Default Monospace Font

Hello,
After a few updates I noticed a new setting on the Appearance settings dialog, Default Monospace Font, which is awesome. However, it doesn't seem to be working for me.
Screenshot
As the image shows, I have it set to Noto Sans Mono 12, however apps like Terminal and Mousepad use Noto Sans Mono 11, I have the "Use system monospace font" checked on both.

I also have this file .config/fontconfig/fonts.conf. However if I remove this file, the Appearance setting isn't applied either.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <match target="pattern">
    <test qual="any" name="family">
      <string>serif</string>
    </test>
    <edit name="family" mode="assign" binding="same">
      <string>Noto Serif</string>
    </edit>
  </match>
  <match target="pattern">
      <string>sans-serif</string>
    </test>
      <string>Noto Sans</string>
    </edit>
  </match>
  <match target="pattern">
      <string>monospace</string>
    </test>
      <string>Noto Sans Mono</string>
    </edit>
  </match>
</fontconfig>

I use Archlinux with xfce4-settings version 4.12.3-1

So the question is, if I'm missing something or doing something wrong or if I should report this as a bug.

Last edited by narmod (2018-06-20 13:33:38)

#2 2018-06-20 17:07:14

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Default Monospace Font

It looks like xfce4-terminal uses the monspace setting from org.gnome.desktop.interface.monospace-font-name (ref: https://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-termina … en.c#n2673) and not xsettings.

Perhaps creating a bug report to see if the developer would consider using the xsettings value is the way to proceed.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2021-11-15 07:57:08

KBar

On another note, I have this weird behavior where checking the "Use system monospace font" box in Preferences also affects text in context menus. Even tested in a new user environment and during a Live session.

Filed a bug report here.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#4 2022-01-04 09:36:48

KBar

Digging deeper I deduced that since GtkMenu being spawned inside GtkTextView, it's inheriting the monospace font.

.context-menu {
 font: initial;
}

fixes it but I wonder what could be done programmatically to fix it. For instance, Xfce Terminal doesn't produce this behavior. Perhaps this function needs to be changed.

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

Board footer