Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-25 12:18:32

nistra

How to restore configurations loosed using Xfce Panel Switch?

Accidentally I set a panel configuration with the Xfce Panel Switch, loosing all my own configurations.
How can I restore my custom configurations?
They still seems to exist under ~/.config_backups/xfce4/
But how do I activate them?

Two things are very unlucky in Xfce Panel Switch (I'm using the german version "Xfce-Leistenschalter"):
1) The icon on the button to apply a configuration looks more like a "configure"-icon (my mistake)
2) I would expect to be asked for confirmation or to save me current configuration before another configuration is activated and my own desapears.

#2 2018-06-25 20:32:26

ToZ
Administrator

Re: How to restore configurations loosed using Xfce Panel Switch?

Hello and welcome.

If you have backed up the contents of the ~/.config/xfce4-panel folder and ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml, you can do the following:

1. Log out

2. Ensure that xfconfd is still not running (an issue with some distros):

pkill xfconfd
  3. Copy back the backed-up contents of ~/.config/xfce4-panel

4. Copy back the backed-up ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml file

5. Log back in

If it doesn't look right (colours are wrong, font is off) restrart xfsettingsd:

xfsettingsd --replace

Two things are very unlucky in Xfce Panel Switch (I'm using the german version "Xfce-Leistenschalter"):
1) The icon on the button to apply a configuration looks more like a "configure"-icon (my mistake)
2) I would expect to be asked for confirmation or to save me current configuration before another configuration is activated and my own desapears.

Even though xfpanel-swtich is created and maintained by an Xfce developer, it's not actually part of core Xfce. You can create bug reports/enhacement requests at its Launchpad page.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-06-26 07:50:16

nistra

Re: How to restore configurations loosed using Xfce Panel Switch?

Thank you very much!

Coping the ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml file was enought for me, it's all restored now!
In ~/.config/xfce4-panel I have seen before that all seems to be ok. Only in xfce4-panel.xml I doesn't recognized the changes before.

Now I've created a bug report at the Launchpad page.

Board footer