Xfce Forum

Sub domains
 

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-20 18:15:17

Erald_coil
Member
Registered: 2018-08-20
Posts: 2

Hi !

Xfce is the best desktop environment and I've tested them all. I've been working hard to lobby in its favour (and man if it's tough).

Huge thanks for the team behind it and I hope it will never go away and keep improving.

I have some questions though and I don't know if this topic is the right place (just tell me, I'll post them elsewhere) :

- Is the team behind xfce reading* the forum for suggestions and such ?
- Are users input really taken* into considerations ? People who did convert me to Linux told me the community was nice and it was easy to make suggestions and such.

Thanks !

Edit : spelling.

Last edited by Erald_coil (2018-08-22 01:49:38)

Offline

#2 2018-08-20 20:35:04

alcornoqui
Member
Registered: 2014-07-28
Posts: 305

Re: Hi !

Hello and welcome!

>> Xfce is the best desktop environment and I've tested them all. I've been working hard to lobby in its favour (and man if it's tough).

Xfce is really great, and I think it has a very good reputation. But lobbying in favour of desktop environments (or distros, or OSs, for that matter), is in a way a futile task.

Opinionated users are, well, opinionated. Picky users are picky.

I guess developers are as well, in case one lobbies devs. So they're very hard to steer. But in my experience with "non-technical" Windows users without Photoshop or gaming needs, Xfce has been a resounding success, not a tough sell at all; some of my acquaintances used Windows, others had tried Gnome/Unity desktops, none are coming back there...

>> Huge thanks for the team behind it and I hope it will never go away and keep improving.

Hear, hear!

>> I have some questions though and I don't know if this topic is the right place (just tell me, I'll post them elsewhere) :

- Is the team behind xfce read the forum for suggestions and such ?

- Are users input really take into considerations ? People who did convert me to Linux told me the community was nice and it was easy to make suggestions and such.

The community is nice, in my limited experience.

Your question is appropiate (this is the Xfce forum and users like me and you can talk about it, and get feedback from others), but quoting the docs:

Almost all development and coordination work is taking place on the Xfce mailing lists. A summary of all lists is available at mail.xfce.org. There is also a user-specific list where you can ask questions and freely discuss about the desktop.

NOTE: In order to post to these lists, you must first subscribe.

In any case you may have heard that the development efforts are focused now in the Gtk+3 migration, and new features are freezed at this point: https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap

Offline

#3 2018-08-21 16:09:22

Spass
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2016-12-07
Posts: 80
Website

Re: Hi !

Hello Erald_coil.

Erald_coil wrote:

- Is the team behind xfce read the forum for suggestions and such ?
- Are users input really take into considerations ? People who did convert me to Linux told me the community was nice and it was easy to make suggestions and such.

This is more like a support forum, where users are helping each other and share their knowledge. If you want to suggest something specific, it's better to use dev mailing lists or submit a feature request on the official Bugzilla. And from my experience the devs are taking user feedback very seriously, but of course not every suggestion will be implemented right away, there are many things that must be taken under consideration.

From my experience this is one of the best and most helpful forums I've used.


xubuntu-pl (Polish Xubuntu Community)

Offline

#4 2018-08-22 01:47:16

Erald_coil
Member
Registered: 2018-08-20
Posts: 2

Re: Hi !

Spass wrote:

Hello Erald_coil.

Erald_coil wrote:

- Is the team behind xfce read the forum for suggestions and such ?
- Are users input really take into considerations ? People who did convert me to Linux told me the community was nice and it was easy to make suggestions and such.

This is more like a support forum, where users are helping each other and share their knowledge. If you want to suggest something specific, it's better to use dev mailing lists or submit a feature request on the official Bugzilla. And from my experience the devs are taking user feedback very seriously, but of course not every suggestion will be implemented right away, there are many things that must be taken under consideration.

From my experience this is one of the best and most helpful forums I've used.

Ok thanks. It's nice to hear they devs are taking users feedbacks with consideration. I will use the mailing list.

I'll stay here though, if I can help new users or try to correct some problems, it will be my pleasure.

Xfce is really great, and I think it has a very good reputation. But lobbying in favour of desktop environments (or distros, or OSs, for that matter), is in a way a futile task.

Opinionated users are, well, opinionated. Picky users are picky.

I guess developers are as well, in case one lobbies devs. So they're very hard to steer. But in my experience with "non-technical" Windows users without Photoshop or gaming needs, Xfce has been a resounding success, not a tough sell at all; some of my acquaintances used Windows, others had tried Gnome/Unity desktops, none are coming back there...

Yes and no. It's hard to steer current Ubuntu/KDE/LDE users, but it's really easy to convince new ubuntu users to adopt  xfce and that's mainly what I'm doing. Each time I convince someone to use Linux, I present them xfce as the desktop environment. Like you, I've never seen heard someone complain about it (except from the QoL improvements I'd like to suggest). Xfce is this good. When you tried it, you can't go back to anything else. I don't care much about current ubuntu users, they represent a small fraction of what ubuntu could become if mainstream catch how great Linux is.

Last edited by Erald_coil (2018-08-22 01:49:03)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB