Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-27 12:28:23

peter.48

Delayed start of mail plugin

I've gone on to have my system on SSD and everything's going perfect...but as a
system startup it starts about three seconds, pc connects to internet about 8-10 seconds
after desktop startup, so my mail plugin icon appears with the emblem of unavailable("dialog-error").
This doesn't change anything in pc functioning but it bothers me.
I would like to know how to make mail plugin start about 15 seconds later than the desktop.
My knowledge of scripts is limited to knowing that it exists something called "scripts" sad .
If someone could help me or indicate where to look for information (but not five years at MIT tongue ).

If it is relevant I'm running Fedora 28, panel 4.12.2, mailwatch-plugin 1.2.0 (obviously xfce wink )

Thank you in advance

Last edited by peter.48 (2018-08-27 12:58:39)

#2 2018-08-27 13:02:30

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Delayed start of mail plugin

It doesn't look like you can pause or delay the start of the plugin. However, it will respond to a SIGUSR2 signal which will force it to update itself (re-read the mailbox). So you could create an autostart application that waits 15 seconds and then sends the mailwatch plugin a SIGUSR2 signal forcing it to update.

Here is a script (create a file called refresh_mailwatch in either your home directory or wherever you store your scripts and make it executable):

#!/bin/bash
sleep 15
pkill --signal SIGUSR2 $(ps -ef | grep mailwatch | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}')

Then create a new startup application entry that points to this script.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-08-27 13:28:41

ToZ
Administrator

Well, testing the above doesn't seem to work. So something is broken there. Here are some relevant existing bug reports:
- https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13707
- https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4747

One other suggestion would be to uncheck the "Show log status in icon" checkbox for the mailbox in question (located in the mailbox's properties.

Also, are you connecting to a mail service like gmail? I use the genmon plugin and the gmail script to notify me of new messages. It's a little more robust than the mailwatch plugin.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#4 2018-08-27 13:46:23

peter.48

This was fast and easy solution!

ToZ wrote:

One other suggestion would be to uncheck the "Show log status in icon" checkbox for the mailbox in question

This is working!Thank you very much for your help.

Regards
Peter

#5 2018-08-28 14:26:28

Jerry3904

Also, are you connecting to a mail service like gmail? I use the genmon plugin and the gmail script to notify me of new messages. It's a little more robust than the mailwatch plugin.

Is there a doc on that plugin? I cant find anything on it, and it has no man file.

MX-23 (based on Debian Stable) with our flagship Xfce 4.18.

#6 2018-08-28 14:29:02

ToZ
Administrator

Sorry Jerry, there is no man file. Docs are located here.

Board footer