Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-09 15:49:42

xc0d3r

clock bug

I want to report a bug with the clock, when I change the settings for the clock for example in the format 00:00:0 AM/PM, the clock hides from the bar, then I have to remove the clock from the panel and add again

Last edited by xc0d3r (2018-09-09 15:50:18)

#2 2018-09-09 16:39:59

ToZ
Administrator

Re: clock bug

Have a read through this thread for more info including an update on the bug and workarounds.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-09-09 17:33:31

xc0d3r

I attach this gif for better comprehension

TrsvZr.gif

#4 2018-09-09 17:59:36

ToZ
Administrator

Yes. It was a bug. It's referenced in the other thread I linked to.

It's been fixed for xfce4-panel 4.13.2, but it was not back-ported to xfce4-panel 4.12 (which is what you are using).

Your options include (from the other thread):

1. Use datetime plugin

2. Use xfconf-query to re-set the digital-format when the format is erased (note that the plugin doesn't crash, the format is just cleared):

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /plugins/plugin-XX/digital-format -s "%r"

...where "XX" is the plugin number that can be found when hovering your mouse over the plugin in the Panel Properties Items tab and
    ...where "%r" is any date/time format that you want to use.

3. Use xfce4-settings-editor and use graphical tool to manually change the digital format for the plugin (with channel and property as determined above).

4. Open a bug report and ask developer to port the fix back to the 4.12 branch as well (already done - see: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14507).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2018-09-09 22:25:05

xc0d3r

I did that but I got this error:

root@host:/home/user# xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /plugins/plugin-clock-4/digital-format -s "%06:16 PM"
Failed to init libxfconf: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken..

ToZ wrote:

Yes. It was a bug. It's referenced in the other thread I linked to.

It's been fixed for xfce4-panel 4.13.2, but it was not back-ported to xfce4-panel 4.12 (which is what you are using).

Your options include (from the other thread):

1. Use datetime plugin

2. Use xfconf-query to re-set the digital-format when the format is erased (note that the plugin doesn't crash, the format is just cleared):

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /plugins/plugin-XX/digital-format -s "%r"

...where "XX" is the plugin number that can be found when hovering your mouse over the plugin in the Panel Properties Items tab and
    ...where "%r" is any date/time format that you want to use.

3. Use xfce4-settings-editor and use graphical tool to manually change the digital format for the plugin (with channel and property as determined above).

4. Open a bug report and ask developer to port the fix back to the 4.12 branch as well (already done - see: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14507).

#6 2018-09-09 23:07:48

ToZ
Administrator

There are a few issues with your command:

1. Don't run xfconf-query as root. It needs to be run as a regular user so it can connect to the xfconfd daemon instance running under your user profile.

2. You only need to use the plugin number not the name (plugin-4 instead of plugin-clock-4).

3. The date/time string is not a valid one (see "man date")

Try this command, run under your regular user account:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /plugins/plugin-4/digital-format -s "%l:%M %p"

If that doesn't work, it might be that the "digital-format" property has not been created yet. In which case, just append "--create":

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /plugins/plugin-4/digital-format -s "%l:%M %p" --create

Board footer