Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-17 20:52:32

jabaa

Linux Mint 19 Thunar doesn't list samba shares

I'm using Linux Mint 19 Xfce 64 bit and I'm connected to a network with a Samba server. But the shares are not listed in Thunar network.

I can list them with smbtree but findsmb doesn't find the server. I can open the Samba server in Thunar by entering smb://IP_ADDRESS/ and smb://SAMBA_SERVER_NAME/. The problem only arises since I switched from Linux Mint 18 to Linux Mint 19. On Windows the Samba server and it's shares are listed. I'm pretty sure that the server is correctly configured.

First, network in Thunar was empty. I found this post

Linux Mint 18 file manager doesn't show all Windows computers

with

sudo apt-get install samba --install-recommends

This fixed the network a little bit. Now I can find my own pc in the the network. But the Samba server is still missing.

Since I can access the server it's not so critical but I want to fix it for usability.

Some necessary installed packages:

• gvfs

• gvfs-backends

• gvfs-bin

• gvfs-common

• gvfs-daemons

• gvfs-fuse

• gvfs-libs

Last edited by jabaa (2018-09-17 20:54:29)

#2 2018-09-17 22:47:07

alcornoqui

Re: Linux Mint 19 Thunar doesn't list samba shares

Reminded me of this: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubu … hares.html

See if it helps. Welcome to the forum!

#3 2018-09-18 06:08:51

jabaa

No, it's a different problem. I can connect to my Samba server. Only Thunar and findsmb can't find it. smbtree shows all shares.

I tried your link but it didn't change anything.

#4 2018-09-18 10:42:18

ToZ
Administrator

Does it work if you take down your firewall? To get thunar to display shares, I have to allow all traffic between the samba server and my laptop (mostly because I'm too lazy to figure out exactly which ports are required and it is a small internal network). Taking down the firewall will help to see if that is the issue.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#5 2018-09-18 17:06:00

jabaa

The Linux Mint firewall is disabled. I think it's ufw. I also tried

sudo ufw status

and it's inactive.

But I found out something new. I started another pc (B) in this network. It runs Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon with Nemo. There I can see following devices:
- samba server
- my pc (A1)
- my pc (A2) with another name
- pc (B)

Also in Windows Network I can see a Workgroup with samba server and my pc (A1).

From my pc in Thunar I only can see my pc (A2) and Windows Network is empty.

I think that A1 is also a samba server on my pc. findsmb finds only this local samba server. smbtree finds the local samba server and the samba server in the network.

#6 2018-09-18 22:42:06

ToZ
Administrator

Is avahi installed and running on any of those systems?
Also, confirm which are running samba (smbd).

I just fired up the latest Mint Xfce iso and thunar showing network shares works out of the box.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#7 2018-09-19 07:30:55

jabaa

Usually there are two devices in the network, my pc and the server. Yesterday I started another pc with Linux Mint. On this pc no samba server was installed but on my pc was. So I uninstalled samba server on my pc and I synchronized all packaged containing smb or samba. Now on my pc Thunar network is empty. On the other pc I can see 3 devices, my pc, the other pc and the server. Also when I open Windows Network I can see a workgroup on the other pc but not on mine. That means it's not only a samba problem, it's a network problem since my pc doesn't list any linux devices.

I will try to boot from iso and check if it works later. On the server ahavi-daemon is running.

#8 2018-09-19 17:31:08

jabaa

I startet my pc from usb with Linux Mint iso. Network is empty

#9 2018-10-06 12:21:11

jabaa

I found out some news. It seems to have nothing to do with Thunar or Xfce. I had an Linux Mint 18 Cinnamaon. It listed all samba shares in Network with Nemo. I did a full upgrade to Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon. After the upgrade, the entry Network in Nemo didn't list any samba shares. The same I saw on a Xubuntu 17.10. Thunar listed all samba shares. After an full upgrade to Xubuntu 18.04 all samba shares are gone. So I think the file managers use a tool to list all samba share and with the upgrade of the system, the API of this tool changed.

At least it seems, that this has nothing to do with Linux Mint, Xfce or Thunar. It seems to be a problem with a new Samba client and a maybe old Samba server configuration.

Board footer