Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-20 16:17:14

skink

Is there any advantage to build xfce in one distro over another?

I was dipping my toe into the XFCE world by trying to build Thunar last night. It has a number of unmet dependencies. I'm currently on Devuan (Debian without systemd). I know Debian is slow to update things, but the exo library available in the repository is 5 minor revisions ago, and Thunar was like 2 years ago, right? Also, a number of dependencies just aren't available through Debian at all.

I'm wondering if I should just give up on the package manager and follow the build instructions for the whole thing: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/building, which probably involves downloading and installing everything individually to keep up to date. I hate doing that. It usually ends badly.

OR, should I consider a different OS. The ones I would consider at the moment are Devuan, Void, DragonflyBSD, and OpenBSD. I might even go back to Mint, if it were that much better to build things.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem and if people can make some recommendations based on experience so I don't have to load these OSs one by one just to try to build XFCE & associated programs.

#2 2018-10-20 16:37:18

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Is there any advantage to build xfce in one distro over another?

Hello and welcome.

Arch has the AUR which has git versions of many if not all of the Xfce packages (see: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=xfce+git). Makes it somewhat easier to build and maintain as it is tied into the package manager through PKGBUILD scripts and dependencies are accounted for.

Edit: In some cases you may want to use the devel packages if the git package is tied to a specific commit.

Last edited by ToZ (2018-10-20 16:41:21)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-10-20 22:41:36

skink

Thanks. Do you think this is also going to be true for the various Arch derivatives like Manjaro & Antergos?

#4 2018-10-20 23:00:28

ToZ
Administrator

Possibly. I don't have much experience with any of them. In theory, they can also use the AUR. Some of them have their own repositories that add to the base Arch-provided repositories, and these may have some additional packages. For example, Manjaro has https://osmirror.org/manjaro/stable/extra/x86_64/.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer