Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-25 21:49:03

cmcanulty

[solved]

I just set up a dual boot machine and copied my xubuntu home to the new computer but am surprised my panel settings didn't transfer. Why would that occur? The panel seems to have it's settings in /.config/xfce4/panel which did copy over. I have 3 panels with a ton of things in them so really would like a fix. Both are running xubuntu 18.04.Thank you.

Last edited by cmcanulty (2022-08-12 13:31:48)

#2 2018-10-25 23:40:16

mint4all

Re: [solved]

cmcanulty wrote:

I just set up a dual boot machine and copied my xubuntu home to the new computer but am surprised my panel settings didn't transfer. Why would that occur? The panel seems to have it's settings in /.config/xfce4/panel which did copy over. I have 3 panels with a ton of things in them so really would like a fix. Both are running xubuntu 18.04.Thank you.

Greetings!

Afaik, xfce saves its panel info in ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/panels.xml ... When you built your system, did you by any chance restore THAT particular .xml file as well? Btw: did you restore any of the other .xml files in that xfce-perchannel-xml folder? You may need some of those as well later on ...

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2018-10-26 07:02:54

ozjd
Website

You need to copy any config files outside of Xfce, i.e. not when Xfce is running. Another option for the panels is to use Xfce Panel Switch (now known as xfce4-panel-profiles).

#4 2018-10-26 11:40:58

cmcanulty

I used grsync to copy all the /home to an external hard drive and then to the new machine so yes all those files were copied. Also both have the same user name and password.OK I backed up one panel from the panel config does that do all 3 or are they separate? I also looked all over for the backup file so I could put it on new computer but can't find it.
OK I figured out how to save current config. I t makes an archived file. I copied that file to the new computer and tried import both as a compressed file and uncompressed. Both options freeze the computer completely and do nothing so I have to reboot to get rid of the import window. Thank you

Last edited by cmcanulty (2018-10-26 12:14:55)

#5 2018-10-26 12:19:32

cmcanulty

Sorry, it is quite unintuitive but after a cold restart I was able to import the settings. No idea why it all froze up on 1st attempt. Thanks

#6 2022-08-11 13:30:45

tortilla

Hi,

cmcanulty wrote:

t how to save current config. I t makes an archived file. I copied that file to the new computer and tried import both as a compressed file and uncompressed.

Where can I look up how to create such an archive and in how to restore this archv?

Thank you

#7 2022-08-11 14:19:12

KBar

tortilla wrote:

Where can I look up how to create such an archive and in how to restore this archv?

https://docs.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-panel-profiles/start

Remember to edit the subject of your topic to include the [SOLVED] tag once you're satisfied with the answers or have found a solution (in which case, don't forget to share it as well), so that other members of the community can quickly refer to it and save their time. Pretty please! tongue

#8 2022-08-11 21:30:37

cmcanulty

Thanks that is good! solved I can't see where to edit title as solved

Last edited by cmcanulty (2022-08-11 21:32:32)

#9 2022-08-11 22:46:44

Skaperen

cmcanulty wrote:

Thanks that is good! solved I can't see where to edit title as solved

go to the very first post that started this thread, post #1.  you posted so you are allowed to edit it.  edit it.  do you see the title line in a text box.  click just in front of the title.  press Caps Lock.  type "[SOLVED] ".  note the space just after the "]".  now save the edit.

#10 2022-08-12 16:06:34

tortilla

Hi,

@cmcanulty,

• unfortunately it is not clear from the thread history whether you were ultimately successful with the compressed file or uncompressed version. Can you please answer this question - compressed file or uncompressed?

• can you tell about your experience if any settings were different in the imported desktop compared to the source desktop? I mean, if the export/import caused any errors in 2018 or later?

• with this export/import, do you possibly also have any experience with importing the dock panel below - that is, the panel where I can create custom launchers? Was this panel imported correctly?

By the way, now that I know where the exported configuration is when entering

xfce4-panel-profiles save MyPanelConfig

is stored, I realize that I could actually save my question if I came up with the idea that the created files are stored by default in the directory where a program - here

xfce4-panel-profiles

- was started, as is usual in Linux smile.

If someone is familiar with the proect / source code of xfce4-panel-profiles, I would be happy if he/she could post a link to the place in the "xfce4-panel-profiles" source code where I can look up which files / directories are exported.

Board footer