Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-29 18:19:53

Mellowbob

GTK Warning

When I run ebook-viewer from a terminal in XFCE I get a warning message (2 actually):

bob$ ebook-viewer *epub
     QGtkStyle could not resolve GTK. Make sure you have installed the proper libraries.
     QGtkStyle could not resolve GTK. Make sure you have installed the proper libraries.

There is a "fix" which says:

export QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk2

added to ~/.bashrc will fix things. Well, it reduces the warning to one instance instead of 2 smile

But, what is interesting is that I get no error if I use plasma/kde desktop.

I've tried a few different xfce themes but that doesn't appear to make a difference.

Perhaps I'm missing  qt package?

#2 2018-12-21 21:54:38

mint4all

Re: GTK Warning

Greetings!

One thing you could try: add that override to your system's /etc/environment file (note: edit as root). Afaik, overrides such as these s/b established before your desktop-environment starts up as they seem to affect any apps started later via your DE, or even the DE itself as it starts up. Worth a try?

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2018-12-21 22:59:21

Mellowbob

Thanks ... forgotten about /etc/environment. Added the line, and it made a difference smile Now I get one line reading

instead of the 2 I was getting before. Oh well, easy enough to ignore.

#4 2018-12-22 01:49:55

mint4all

Mellowbob wrote:

Thanks ... forgotten about /etc/environment. Added the line, and it made a difference smile Now I get one line reading

instead of the 2 I was getting before. Oh well, easy enough to ignore.

Your problem appears to be related to a back-level qt library, as discussed @ https://stackoverflow.com/questions/505 … esolve-gtk ... In addition, make sure you reboot whenever you make changes to that /etc/environment file -- a mere logout/login squence does not refresh the system's master-environment, imho.

Enjoy the holidays! m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#5 2018-12-22 02:29:09

Mellowbob

Opps, don't do the "add line to /etc/environment" thing. Suddenly a number of programs like kpat (I think they are all KDE) don't work.

The link you provided basically says : You need install qt=5.9.

I have no idea what version of qt I have or how to determine smile

Thanks.

Last edited by Mellowbob (2018-12-22 02:38:52)

#6 2018-12-22 17:53:26

mint4all

Mellowbob wrote:

Opps, don't do the "add line to /etc/environment" thing. Suddenly a number of programs like kpat (I think they are all KDE) don't work.

The link you provided basically says : You need install qt=5.9.

I have no idea what version of qt I have or how to determine smile

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that. When you added your new line to the /etc/environment file, you did leave the "export" command off, right? I am asking this because if there is a syntax error, none of the file's variables get initialized/set. Typically, programs suddenly "stop working" when their PATH variables got messed up...

The quickest way i found to determine your QT-library version is to run ...

qmake --version

What distro are you using? Just run

inxi -S

and copy/paste the output into your reply. With that info we can then figure out the package manager(s) you have installed, and then how to upgrade your qt5-libraries to their recommended level.

Cheers, m4a

Board footer