Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-24 23:40:20

papab

touchpad, synclient

I installed lubuntu and I was using synclient to enable and disable the touchpad.  I setup a shortcut key to enable and disable it.    I am now using the xcfe desktop (on the lubuntu install) and cannot control the touchpad with synclient.
    if I run

synclient touchpadoff=1

The touchpad is turned off briefly, but then comes back on.
    I can enable and disable it with Settings->Mouse and Touchpad, but if I disable it and don't have the mouse I can't enable it. I'm guessing that there is a different driver in control. It would be nice if there was a way to detect the mouse and disable the touchpad, else if not mouse then use the touchpad.

Suggestions?

#2 2018-12-25 01:52:12

ToZ
Administrator

Re: touchpad, synclient

Hello and welcome.

xfsettingsd is managing it.

To create a keyboard toggle, try this:

xfconf-query -c pointers -m

...and disable/re-enable the pointer. In the terminal window you will see something like:

set: /SynPS2_Synaptics_TouchPad/Properties/Device_Enabled
set: /SynPS2_Synaptics_TouchPad/Properties/Device_Enabled

The important part is the "SynPS2_Synaptics_TouchPad" - yours might be different. Make note of this name.

Go to Settings Manager > Keyboard > Application Shortcuts and "+Add" a new shortcut. For the command enter:

bash -c 'P="SynPS2_Synaptics_TouchPad"; [[ $(xfconf-query -c pointers -p /$P/Properties/Device_Enabled) -eq 1 ]] && xfconf-query -c pointers -p /$P/Properties/Device_Enabled -s 0 || xfconf-query -c pointers -p /$P/Properties/Device_Enabled -s 1'

..change the "P=" part to reflect the result from the command above. Assign a shortcut key combination.

Now just press that key combination to toggle between enabled and disabled.

For an automated method, look at using udev to run the xfconf-query command.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2018-12-26 19:04:43

papab

Thanks.   I tried that and it seems to work only once.   I observed that when it was toggled off, synclient touchpadoff was set to 1, but when toggling back on, the xfconf enable was enabled (as seen in the gui settings editor), but touchpadoff was still 1, & the touchpad was still disabled.     I managed to make it work by putting 'synclient touchpadoff=0;' at the front of the cmd that you gave me. 

I also noticed that I can enable & disable from the cmd line with the synclient cmd,  but when I put that in a shortcut key it wouldn't work?   I tried full path and bash -c, but nothing seemed to work.  Any idea?

Is there a conflict installing xfce desktop on lubuntu?    I don't want to, but if it will reduce problems I can remove lubuntu and install xubuntu.

#4 2018-12-26 20:31:51

ToZ
Administrator

Hmmm. That command works here for me. I'm not that familiar with lubuntu. Does it have a configuration/settings daemon of it's own that is running as well that may be interfering?

Try the Xubuntu live CD/USB first before any major changes. This will let you know if it will work with Xfce-only configurations and xfconf daemon.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2018-12-27 00:43:20

papab

I don't have any processes with lx in the name running.  do you have syndaemon running?   I see that I started it from the cmd line 3 weeks ago and it is running with the same args now.   It is not in my autostart list tho.

#6 2018-12-27 01:57:22

ToZ
Administrator

No, I don't have syndaemon running. There is a good chance that it is interfering. Try killing the process and see if it makes a difference.

Board footer