Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-19 18:46:34

mskala

No resize on move

Is there anything I can do to make my XFCE desktop never resize windows as a side effect of moving them?

The most common, and most annoying, case is that I have a maximized window, I want to see something that is under it by temporarily moving it to be partially offscreen, so I start to drag it to one side, but as soon as I drag it, it switches to un-maximized mode and some random smaller size.

What I'd really most prefer would be if there could be no such thing as "maximized mode" at all, and the maximize button would just literally maximize the window, with exactly the same effect as manually resizing the window to be its maximum size.  But most of the annoyance would be resolved if only moving the window wouldn't change the size; either by allowing the window to stay in "maximized" mode even when it's moved partially off-screen, or if moving a maximized window would switch it out of "maximized" mode but keep the size the same.

This may be beyond the range of what the configuration options can do, but I'd like to know if there's just flag somewhere that I missed.

#2 2019-01-20 17:38:51

mint4all

Re: No resize on move

mskala wrote:

... The most common, and most annoying, case is that I have a maximized window, I want to see something that is under it by temporarily moving it to be partially offscreen, so I start to drag it to one side, but as soon as I drag it, it switches to un-maximized mode and some random smaller size. ...

Greetings!

I've just tested this and my system behaves exactly as you want it to: i can drag any maximized window partially off-screen and either drag it back to its place, or pop it right back by clicking its maximize button. There's a setting in your "Window Manager Tweaks" setup i suggest you check: Menu > Settings > "Persoal" category > Window Manager Tweaks > Accessibility tab > "Automatically tile windows .." option. Make sure that it is UNCHECKED. If it is checked, off-screen dragging is disabled afaik and snapping (essentially auto-resizing) will kick in.

Cheers, m4a

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

#3 2019-01-20 17:53:01

mskala

Re: No resize on move

Thanks for the response!  I already had this setting unchecked.  Could it be interacting with some other setting?

Turning that setting *on* does make things worse - then windows not only pop out of "maximized" mode when dragged, but also pop into it when dragged to a screen edge - but turning it off does not, for me, produce the desired behaviour of windows never automatically changing size at all.

Board footer