Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-24 14:14:15

cmcanulty

appimage add to menu

Appimages are apparently a new way to create an install file that contains all dependencies so they can install in any distribution. They seem similar to snaps. I am not interested in a discussion if this is good or bad. They are installed by just making the file executable and uninstalled by just deleting the file.After reading several tutorials that were quite complicated on how to add an installed appimage to menus or desktop I found a super easy way. Click create launcher on desktop ( or use same method to add to menus). Simply give it a name, browse to appimage file and set an icon. I tried extracting the appimage to find the icon and that didn't work for my app. But I just googled for the program icon and downloaded it then browsed to the image. I also made an apps folder in my home directory to store any appimages.

#2 2019-01-24 19:23:32

PaperNick

Re: appimage add to menu

Thanks for the info. It also looks like the AppImage team is working towards automating this whole thing:
https://github.com/AppImage/appimaged
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckKiDcRXWgE

At first sight, this might raise a red flag in terms of security - some random apps are marked as executable and integrated into the system's menu as soon as they're downloaded. But on second thought, if this whole thing can be isolated in a sandbox, it might prove quite useful.

What are your thoughts? Did anybody actually try to run those AppImages in a sandbox like firejail? Did they work ok?

#3 2019-01-24 23:02:35

cmcanulty

Re: appimage add to menu

I tried installing  appimaged and it didn't install or work. I suppose the apps take a lot more space also. Now if someone could make a file that would install in all linux, mac, and windows that would be a great thing, but I'm not holding my breath.The apps aren't made executable though until you set that permission.

Board footer