Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-26 03:37:54

Skaperen

i need to come up with a directory name

in the home directory of every user i run, there is a directory named "cmd" that is used to hold command scripts and programs.  it is added to the PATH environment variable for each shell/cli session in each user.  there is also a directory named "cron" for scripts and programs that are referenced by the cron table for that user.  i want to make another on that is specifically a place for scripts and programs that are part of each user's Xfce configuration, such as scripts referenced by .desktop files and other objects (that go in other places).

i have not been able to come up with a clever name for this, yet.   does anyone have any ideas?  it should have some generic related meaning.  it can be a acronym.  i want to keep it 6-8 or few characters but at least 2.

#2 2019-01-26 03:58:29

mint4all

Re: i need to come up with a directory name

Skaperen wrote:

... i have not been able to come up with a clever name for this, yet.   does anyone have any ideas?  it should have some generic related meaning.  it can be a acronym.  i want to keep it 6-8 or few characters but at least 2.

You ARE a funny guy wink

Fwiw: decades ago i did some work for a client that used some '80s version of pre-dbase2 "stuff". They used a generic place for assorted bit-detritus called "bucket". I tried really hard to have them change it to "stuff" (that was long before "Bucket List" even became a script for a movie), but they wouldn't budge -- "bucket" it was, and remained so. In hindsight, that made sense: "bucket" was hardcoded in 100s of DB-scripts and a global change would have been, ahem, too pricey for them.

Anywayz, whatever directory name you chose, my suggestion is to make it symbolic (establish and use a parm in mainframe speak) so that you remain flexible ...

Linux Mint 21.2 -- xfce 4.18 ... Apple iMAC -- Dell & HP Desktops and Laptops -- Family & Community Support

Board footer