Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-28 15:38:15

sje30

Why does the logout window appear seemingly randomly?

Hi
I'm a happy user of xfce on my laptop (thinkpad t480s) running manjaro.  I switched from i3 a couple of  months ago.

One minor annoyance is that perhaps once/day the logout window appears seemingly randomly.  It can appear either when I am typing, or when I come back to the machine.  The window I refer to is titled "Log Out ..." and is the same window that I see when I intentionally wish to logout using the main menu, or xfce4-session-logout.

Does anyone know why it might be appearing without me calling it, and how to stop it?

Many thanks, Stephen

#2 2019-01-28 16:27:27

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Why does the logout window appear seemingly randomly?

Hello and welcome.

Interesting problem. Does it happen when you are plugged in or only when on battery?

If on battery, have a look at the xfce4-power-manager settings - there is an option there on the System tab called "On critical battery power". If it is set to "Ask", it will pop up that dialog if the battery power is less than the threshold specified above that option. Perhaps the threshold is too high? You might also want to run "upower -d" to see if the system is properly reporting your battery charge.

The other thing that you can do is run xfce4-power-manager in the background in debug mode, and look at what message is generated when it happens. To do so, in a terminal window, run:

xfce4-power-manager -q
xfce4-power-manager --no-daemon --debug

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-01-29 18:49:05

sje30

aha, thank you so much!

I think it is likely to be this.  I am normally on battery when it happens, indeed.  And the power-manager settings/system was set to "ask" when the battery got to a critical level of 20%.  I've reduced that to 5% to see if that correlates.

#4 2019-01-29 23:13:03

Skaperen

it would be preferred that events like this be more informative about why it pops up, giving the option to gracefully save work and log out.  then if logout is chosen, next would be the logout confirmation window.

Board footer