Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-02 12:18:13

rolgiati

Revert sidebar behaviour

Until a recent upgrade, I was used, when clicking in the scrollbar above or below the thumb, to the display moving up or down one screen.

It now scrolls to bring the thumb at the position where I clicked the scrollbar.

I remember having had the problems years ago, and had soved it then by adding an entry

[Settings]
gtk-primary-button-warps-slider = false

to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini but this no longer works, probably because gtk3 works differently  ;-3(

Any idea how to revert that behaviour ?

#2 2019-04-02 16:24:40

alcornoqui

Re: Revert sidebar behaviour

Left click = Warp
Right click = One screen at a time

At least in my system... Tried in Firefox and Thunar.

#3 2019-04-02 17:25:33

rolgiati

alcornoqui wrote:

Left click = Warp
Right click = One screen at a time
At least in my system... Tried in Firefox and Thunar.

Thank you, but it is more complicated, see below.

And I find it completely counter-intuitive that the same action gives completely different results depending on which programme it is applied to:

Firefox, Kompozer, Gramps
Left click: scroll one screen, Right click: nothing

Xfce4-terminal, Transmission, Evince, VLC
Left click: scroll one screen, Right click: scroll half a line

ClawsMail, Clawsker, PCmanFM, LibreOffice, EasyABC, Bulk rename, Mousepad, Thunar, Xfce-task-manager, Gftp 
Left click: scroll to cursor, Right click: scroll one screen

Calibre 
Left click: scroll one screen, Right click: Menu offering various scroll options

So back to my original query: Is there a way to make them all more or less behave the same way, and scroll one screen when left-clicking in the scroll-bar ?

#4 2019-04-02 19:05:44

alcornoqui

I see... Thanks for the details. My searches didn't get a clear answer. On the Qt/KDE part I found this feature request.

On the GTK side, the Arch wiki says:

Tip: Legacy scrolling behaviour can be achieved reliably simply by using right click instead of left click.

Note: This setting is not obeyed by all GTK+ applications.

I'd say the word "reliable" is not the one that should be used here, though...

Did you find anything else?

#5 2019-04-02 19:38:13

rolgiati

rolgiati wrote:

Firefox, Kompozer, Gramps
Left click: scroll one screen, Right click: nothing

Just found out that in Firefox and Gramps, it is a middle-click that takes one to the cursor position.
But not in Kompozer.

What a mess; and where is the vaunted "'liberty of choice" that Linux is supposed to give users ?

Or have they been infected by the Microsoft virus, "We are GTK of Borg, resistance is futile" ?

#6 2019-04-07 20:58:46

rolgiati

alcornoqui wrote:

I'd say the word "reliable" is not the one that should be used here, though...
Did you find anything else?

Did not have time to look, too busy sticking pins in little dolls of GTK3 developpers...

#7 2019-06-09 04:51:16

MountainDewManiac

rolgiati wrote:

What a mess; and where is the vaunted "'liberty of choice" that Linux is supposed to give users ?

You just experienced it, lol - the various developers of those applications you've mentioned have chosen different ways to accomplish something. The second half of that choice thing is that you have the choice of learning how to code and writing your own set of applications. Alternatively, you can choose the individual applications that function the way that you want them to. Obviously, when following that route, you'll have to prioritize things, since there is probably not going to be "the perfect application for you in all aspects" and almost certainly not a complete set of them.

It's a royal pain in the rump at times, but it's what people choose to put up with in return for not having to pay for stuff.

Remember, these developers (for the most part) aren't getting paid. It's volunteer work that they do. Oft times, the applications that they've written were originally written for they, themselves, to use. That means the things will probably be set up to behave in the way that their own developers are most comfortable with. (Other times, it comes down to doing it the way that they know how to.)

Look on the bright side, lol: If you were using a commercial OS and commercial applications, you might end up equally unsatisfied... but considerably poorer wink .

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2019-06-09 04:51:45)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

Board footer