Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-26 17:58:10

KitchM

Login Settings

I am having trouble locating the settings for logging into the DE.  As I understand it, Xfce is a user-space environment, and yet I must log into it before it comes up.  I find that a little confusing.

In any case, I would like to know where the settings are for the following:
1. Set it to not request a password, but only a username.
2. Set it to come up automatically to a particular session each time.  (Right now it gives me a choice but I cannot press Enter, I must double-click on the one I want.

Thanks.

#2 2019-04-27 03:01:58

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Login Settings

Yes. Xfce is a user-space environment. At a very high level, from boot-up it goes something like this:

• kernel

• X windows

• display manager (optional)

• Xfce

1. Set it to not request a password, but only a username.

If you want to allow a user to login without a password (strange request by the way), you can simply delete the password via:

sudo passwd -d USER

...where USER is the username of the account that you want to have no password. The display manager should no longer prompt you for a password.

2. Set it to come up automatically to a particular session each time.  (Right now it gives me a choice but I cannot press Enter, I must double-click on the one I want.

This will depend on the display manager that you are using. If you are using lightdm, you can follow these instructions.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-04-29 18:40:28

KitchM

To give a little more background:

1. I guess my previous experience with Xbuntu was with an option to login in automatically.  However, I noticed that the password was entered and all I had to do was select the user.  I think that's the only reason it pauses at the login screen.  Pressing Enter would do the trick, but also give me the option of choosing another user.  Have I misunderstood how that worked?

2. With my current Debian Stretch and Xfce 4.12, there was some thing that I must have selected to get me the session choice screen right after the login screen.  (I'm not sure right now what that was because I have trouble memorizing the weird layout of settings.)  In any case, it pops up with choices.  However, the one I want, which is the only one in the list, is the default one, which I assume to be the last session.  I should be able to press Enter to get that one to take, but it requires a double-click on it directly.

#4 2019-04-30 00:49:39

ToZ
Administrator

Oh. It sounds like you are seeing the session selection screen. You must of saved a session at one point in time and have Settings Manager > Session and startup > General tab > "Display chooser on login" selected. Unselect this checkbox and you won't be prompted again.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find

#5 2019-04-30 15:23:10

KitchM

What benefit do I get by using the same session each time?  The option must be there for a reason, right?

#6 2019-04-30 15:50:57

ToZ
Administrator

KitchM wrote:

What benefit do I get by using the same session each time?

Ideally, you would be able to autostart/restore any applications that were saved. Kind of like restoring the state of your desktop when you log back in again. It's not perfect since the app itself needs to support session saving and not all apps do.

#7 2019-04-30 21:54:33

KitchM

Thank you.  I appreciate the clarification.

Board footer