Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-30 21:21:00

cottrell@wfu.edu

configuration request: leave space at left of desktop

Maybe there's already a way to do this, but if not I'd like to request that it be made configurable in some way:
leave space on the left-hand side of the desktop when xfdesktop arranges icons.

Many modern monitors have a "letterbox" aspect ratio. I don't want to give vertical space to panels or taskbars
at the top or bottom of the screen, but I'm happy to set aside space for a vertical panel on the left (some may
prefer the right, I guess). By default, auto-arrangement of icons on xfdesktop places a column of icons
_underneath_ such a panel. I'd like to be able to say: don't place icons within (e.g.) 100 pixels of the left edge
of the screen. I've actually done this by hacking the xfdesktop source, but of course my modification has to
be redone with every new release.

Thanks for considering this!

#2 2019-04-30 22:09:23

alcornoqui

Re: configuration request: leave space at left of desktop

Does Panel preferences > Display > Don't reserve space on borders make any difference?

It says it affects maximized windows, not sure if it would also affect desktop icon placement (I have it unchecked, but I don't have any desktop icon).

From the docs:

Don't reserve space on borders
    Normally, maximized application windows do not overlap the panel. Setting this option disables this behavior and allows the windows to stretch to the screen edge behind the panel. This option is only available when the panel is set to never hide.

Welcome to the forum!

#3 2019-05-01 00:00:15

cottrell@wfu.edu

Re: configuration request: leave space at left of desktop

Thanks for the welcome!

But I'm afraid that doesn't make any difference. "Don't reserve space on borders" is a panel option,
and apparently it doesn't affect how xfdesktop places its icons.

The ideal solution -- it seems to me -- is that xfdesktop would be aware of the placement of panels
by xfce4-panel and would never auto-place icons underneath panels (which is surely something that
no user could ever want). In fact it seems a bit lame that these two key components could fail to
coordinate in such a way.

Regardless, Xfce is far and away my preferred Linux desktop experience, so my critique is a friendly
one, and I thank all the developers.

Last edited by cottrell@wfu.edu (2019-05-01 00:04:25)

Board footer