Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-01 21:28:49

Devuan

[Solved] Thunar wine'd program file associations

Hello:

I run Devuan ASCII with XFCE:

groucho@devuan:~$ uname -a
Linux devuan 4.9.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.168-1+deb9u2 (2019-05-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux
groucho@devuan:~$ 

My XFCE version is 4.12 and Thunar 1.6.11, standard out of the box with Devuan ASCII 2.0.0.

I have IrfanView 4.51 installed running on Wine.
I have yet to find something as good and simple as this in the extensive Linux applications repetoire.

groucho@devuan:~$ wine --version
wine-1.8.7 (Debian 1.8.7-2)
groucho@devuan:~$ 

I have *.jpg files (and other graphic files) set to open with IrfanView 4.51 but they will not open when I click on them.
ie: the application opens but with no file opened.

I can open IrfanView and do File -> Open or drag the file into the IrfanView window and it will open but not when I click on one any of them.

When I right click on a .jpg file and go Properties -> General and try to set the Open With property, I can choose Other Application and then IrfanView 4.51, but it does not show in the window once I click OK.

Curiously enough, I have received *.jpg files from outside my system that I have been able to open as expected but I see no difference between them save that they come from a Photoshop installation on a Windows system.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

D.

Last edited by Devuan (2019-06-03 22:43:33)

#2 2019-06-01 22:26:09

ToZ
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Thunar wine'd program file associations

This still works for the most part.

Create a launcher script called "irl.sh" with the following content:

#!/bin/bash
F="z:"${1//\//\\}
wine "/home/toz/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/IrfanView/i_view64.exe" $F

...and change the path and filename of irfanview to match your system. Also make the file executable.

Then create a "~/.local/share/applications/irfanview_launcher.desktop" file with the following content:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=irfanView Launcher
Comment=File Viewer
Exec=/home/toz/ir.sh %F
Icon=gtk-image
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GTK;Graphics;Viewer;
GenericName=IrfanView
MimeType=image/bmp;image/g3fax;image/gif;image/x-fits;image/x-pcx;image/x-portable-anymap;image/x-portable-bitmap;image/x-portable-graymap;image/x-portable-pixmap;image/x-psd;image/x-sgi;image/x-tga;image/x-xbitmap;image/x-xwindowdump;image/x-xcf;image/x-compressed-xcf;image/x-gimp-gbr;image/x-gimp-pat;image/x-gimp-gih;image/tiff;image/jpeg;image/x-psp;application/postscript;image/png;image/x-icon;image/x-xpixmap;image/x-exr;image/x-webp;image/heif;image/heic;image/svg+xml;application/pdf;image/x-wmf;image/jp2;image/x-xcursor;

...change the "Exec=" line to point to the script file you created. Also change the "Icon=" line as well.

Then right-click the file in Thunar, select Open With, and select "irfanView Launcher" and check off the make default option.

Edit: fixed some typos and missing info in code blocks

Last edited by ToZ (2019-06-01 22:35:35)

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2019-06-02 00:25:10

Devuan

Hello:

ToZ wrote:

This still works for the most part.

Thanks ...   =-)
I'll have a look at it.

ToZ wrote:

Create a launcher script called "irl.sh" with the following content:

#!/bin/bash
F="z:"${1//\//\\}
wine "/home/toz/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/IrfanView/i_view64.exe" $F

...and change the path and filename of irfanview to match your system. Also make the file executable.

Then create a "~/.local/share/applications/irfanview_launcher.desktop" file with the following content:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=irfanView Launcher
Comment=File Viewer
Exec=/home/toz/ir.sh %F
Icon=gtk-image
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GTK;Graphics;Viewer;
GenericName=IrfanView
MimeType=image/bmp;image/g3fax;image/gif;image/x-fits;image/x-pcx;image/x-portable-anymap;image/x-portable-bitmap;image/x-portable-graymap;image/x-portable-pixmap;image/x-psd;image/x-sgi;image/x-tga;image/x-xbitmap;image/x-xwindowdump;image/x-xcf;image/x-compressed-xcf;image/x-gimp-gbr;image/x-gimp-pat;image/x-gimp-gih;image/tiff;image/jpeg;image/x-psp;application/postscript;image/png;image/x-icon;image/x-xpixmap;image/x-exr;image/x-webp;image/heif;image/heic;image/svg+xml;application/pdf;image/x-wmf;image/jp2;image/x-xcursor;

...change the "Exec=" line to point to the script file you created. Also change the "Icon=" line as well.

Then right-click the file in Thunar, select Open With, and select "irfanView Launcher" and check off the make default option.

OK.
I'll do this and post back when I'm done.

What I don't get is my being able to open files sent to me ie: files I have not generated within my system, received via email, for example.
Which is why I thought it was some config issue with my XFCE/Thunar setup.

Thanks you very much for taking the time to write this up.
Much  appreciated.

Best,

D.

#4 2019-06-03 22:48:55

Devuan

Hello:

Devuan wrote:

... post back when I'm done.

Done.
Works as advertised.  =-)

Devuan wrote:

... is my being able to open files sent to me ie: files I have not generated within my system, received via email, for example.

I think that the root of the issue may lie there: some difference between these files.
No idea what it could be.
Being from two different systems, encoding maybe?

Once again, thanks you very much for taking the time to write this up.

Best,

D.

Board footer