Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-14 01:32:23

Mellowbob

Titlebar

Who decides what is displayed in the title bar for an application? In a terminal I get my login name and the computer host ... and that's fine. But, when running firefox I get part of a novel: The current page section, page and the helpful text "- Mozilla firefox". Is there a way to delete that last part?

#2 2019-08-14 06:52:23

alcornoqui

Re: Titlebar

I guess the application sets what is showed in the title bar, I don't think it's an Xfce thing.

In Firefox you can use something like the Custom Titlebar Text add-on (I've never used it).

In the Xfce Terminal, you can tweak the corresponding setting in Preferences > General > Title, plus you can change the title per-tab, live.

#3 2019-08-14 16:08:53

Mellowbob

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried the suggested add on and it (apparently) makes no difference at all to the title bar on any sites I visited. Oh well smile

#4 2019-08-14 20:24:56

Misko_2083
Website

You can use wmctrl or xdotool to set the title.

Here's a quick workaround. Haven't tested much, the loop works for now on two different firefox windows.
The change is not instant because of "sleep 1".
You could set it to .5 but the less sleep is - the more CPU is used.

#!/bin/bash

while :
do

# get firefox xid
ff_xid=$(wmctrl -lx | grep -e "- Mozilla Firefox" |  grep -oE "[0-9a-z]{10}")

if [ ! -z "${ff_xid}" ]
  then
  # extract the title
  new_title="$(wmctrl -lx | grep -e "- Mozilla Firefox" | grep -o -P "(?<=$(hostname)).*(?=\- Mozilla Firefox$)")"
  # set new title
  wmctrl -r "Mozilla Firefox" -N "${new_title}"
fi

sleep 1

done

Do you want to exit the Circus?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJwQicZHp_c

#5 2019-08-14 23:33:51

Mellowbob

Oh my! And here I thought that it'd be a simple line in my chrome file or a setting in xfce4.

An interesting display of how one can customize a desktop. And, yes, it works.

The little delay is a bit distracting, but it is nice to NOT have the browser name being displayed all the time. I'll have to see if I can figure out why FF thinks appending "mozilla FF" to the title is so damned important smile

Thanks!

#6 2019-08-15 23:16:49

MountainDewManiac

Probably for the same reason that Ford sticks "Ford" emblems on all its vehicles, lol.

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2019-08-15 23:45:55

Mellowbob

Yup ... I think you are right smile

I saw on the 'net that there is an option in FF (got to Customize in the hamburger menu) and at the bottom left there is a "titlebar" option. Apparently, when it is unticked the title bar is supposed to the the tab bar superimposed on it. I tried it a number of times with xfce, unity and plasma ... even as a different user, but I see no difference in that at all.

Board footer