Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-19 12:14:26

teal

Problems with icon highlighting in window cycling

In version 4.12, when you cycle through windows with Alt+Tab, the curently selected window icon is highlighted - for example, in the theme that I use (TraditionalOK, which is one of the official themes for MATE desktop, though I am using archlinux), the selected icon is shown on a blue background. After upgrade to 4.14 though, window's icon background is no longer highlighted (see screenshots below), even though the configuration didn't change. In fact, the same problem is present in most MATE Themes (like Menta, GreenLaguna etc).

Here is a screenshot on 4.12:

4-12-traditionalok.jpg

Here is a screenshot on 4.14:

4-14-traditionalok.jpg

In all the other themes where icon background *is* highlighted (for example, Adwaita, Breeze), there are also a number of  problems with highlighting (in all the examples below I use Adwaita):

Suppose that you pressed Alt+Tab so that the 'cycling window' looks like that:

4-14-adwaita-1.jpg

Also, note the location of a mouse pointer (immediately above the highlighted area). Now, move the mouse pointer down so that it hovers over the highlighted area, like that:

4-14-adwaita-2.jpg

Now the icon is no longer highlighted, but has a border instead. If at that stage you move mouse pointer either straight up or straight down so that it leaves the cycling window completely without going over other icons in the window, the selected icon is neither highlighted, nor does it has a border, like that (note location of the mouse pointer):

4-14-adwaita-3.jpg

For comparison, in 4.12 the behaviour was different. Here is is how the cycling window looks before mouse pointer is moved over it:

4-12-adwaita-1.jpg

Here is how it looks when mouse pointer is positioned over the selected icon:

4-12-adwaita-2.jpg

And here how it looks after mouse pointer leaves the cycling window:

4-12-adwaita-3.jpg

The following things had changed in 4.14 in comparison to 4.14:

1. Color of highlighted icon has changed (to a less distinct color)

2. Selected icon is not highlighted when mouse pointer hovers over it

3. Selected item is neither highlighted nor has a border after mouse pointer leaves cycling window in a manner described above

Of those 3, the last one definitely seems to me like a bug, while I am not clear about the other two - at least in my opinion it seems that behaviour in 4.12 was better. And if we take into an account problems that occur in MATE Themes, maybe 1 & 2 are somehow a part of the problem.

The questions are:

1. How it is possible to fix the problem with MATE themes and the last item for other themes?

2. Are changes in other themes (items 1 & 2) were intentional?

3. If changes in other themes were intentional, is it possible to get the old behaviour?

Last edited by teal (2019-08-19 12:18:58)

#2 2019-08-19 22:08:50

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Problems with icon highlighting in window cycling

Most themes will need to be updated to take advantage of Xfce 4.14's new GTK3 classes. The Greybird theme is maintained by one of the Xfce developers so it generally has more recent configuration settings. Here is what it has about the alt-tab (tabwin) element:

/* Xfwm4's alt-tab dialog, aka "tabwin" */
#xfwm-tabwin {
  padding: 12px;
  background-image: none;
  background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8);
  color: shade(#ffffff, 0.65);
  text-shadow: 0px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8);
  border-radius: 12px;
  /* Set the application icon- and preview-size to 64px */
  -XfwmTabwinWidget-icon-size: 64px;
  -XfwmTabwinWidget-preview-size: 64px; }
  #xfwm-tabwin button {
    background-image: none;
    color: #ffffff;
    font-weight: bold;
    text-shadow: 0px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8);
    border: none;
    border-radius: 6px;
    box-shadow: none; }
    #xfwm-tabwin button:active, #xfwm-tabwin button:checked, #xfwm-tabwin button:active:hover, #xfwm-tabwin button:checked:hover {
      background: rgba(206, 206, 206, 0.3); }
    #xfwm-tabwin button:hover {
      background: #22558b;
      transition-duration: 50ms; }
  #xfwm-tabwin .tabwin-app-grid button {
    min-width: 96px;
    min-height: 96px; }

Perhaps you can use this information to make changes to the theme that you are using.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer