Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-06 13:18:07

veisongv

Scaling playonlinux, cherrytree, steam, pidgin etc

Hello!

I have installed opensuse tumbleweed latest one. XFCE 4.14.

What I did is I set windows scaling to 2x. DPI stay 96. Decreased fonts a little so they are not that big.

Firefox ok, all elements and menus are ok.

Then I started using it smile

Fun begins... Playonlinux so small, cherrytree, pidgin who know what else.

Can you please help me with an advice, what I can do to make it really look good?
I changed DPI to 192 and scaling back to 1. Fonts are too big, icons are too small...

I really like XFCE and do not want to go back to kde only need to fix that scaling issue for many programs.

#2 2019-09-06 14:06:15

Spass

Re: Scaling playonlinux, cherrytree, steam, pidgin etc

Hello and welcome.

That "scaling 2x" setting is for GTK3 applications, so I guess PlayOnLinux, CherryTree and Pidgin are still using GTK2. Not much you can do here I guess, but maybe someone here knows some helpful hacks. You can ask developers of those programs about the GTK3 port, maybe it's in the making. Or look for some alternatives, like Lutris (for gaming).

Does KDE scale those apps properly, since you're thinking about going back?

Last edited by Spass (2019-09-06 14:26:52)

#3 2019-09-06 14:53:14

veisongv

Spass wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Does KDE scale those apps properly, since you're thinking about going back?

Thank you for your reply!

Yes KDE friend told me that all those apps works fine there. But... Something strange happened.

I have added, saw nothing and then deleted the following things:
Settings Manager > Settings Editor > xsettings > Gtk > IconSizes, with a line like this: gtk-large-toolbar=96,96:gtk-small-toolbar=64,64:gtk-menu=64,64:gtk-dialog=96,96:gtk-button=64,64:gtk-dnd=64,64

Then ghostwriter program font became so small... So I guess I broken something already even though rest of the system firefox etc working good.

There should be a way to increase font of menus, drop down menus... Icons ok, forget about them, but buttons and menus, there should be a way...

#4 2019-09-06 17:54:09

Aravisian

veisongv wrote:

Hello!

I have installed opensuse tumbleweed latest one. XFCE 4.14.

What I did is I set windows scaling to 2x. DPI stay 96. Decreased fonts a little so they are not that big.

Firefox ok, all elements and menus are ok.

Then I started using it smile

Fun begins... Playonlinux so small, cherrytree, pidgin who know what else.

Can you please help me with an advice, what I can do to make it really look good?
I changed DPI to 192 and scaling back to 1. Fonts are too big, icons are too small...

I really like XFCE and do not want to go back to kde only need to fix that scaling issue for many programs.

Honestly, I keep my DPI off, but around 96 seems to work for most. Setting DPI to 196- wow.

The way gtk-scaling works is that in a theme enabled for it, the theme has two references for the background image it is to scale, one twice the size of the other.
In the css, the background image is referenced with

-gtk-scaled(url("imagepath"))

rather than with

url("pathtoimage")

Perhaps you can check and see if your current theme does do scaling.
This scaling only refers to applications running on gtk3, as Spass pointed out and will not have any effect on anything else.

I am not aware of a setting for icon sizes, but it is possible to change Icons to almost any sizes you want by modifying the icon theme index and the folders with available sized icons. This would require a walkthrough, since you would need to know some details on how to do it.

I have not used 4.14, I am on 4.12, however, I suspect that the settings are not so different. In 4.12, if you go to Settings, Appearance, then look at the tabs to see, Styles, Icons, Fonts...
If you select the Fonts tab, then select your current font, it will opena  popover window where you can select a new font and -- the size.
Could you please check your settings there?

Not sure what you mean by "too small" in reference to Playonlinix and other apps- could you post a screenshot?

#5 2019-09-10 10:15:11

veisongv

Thank you for reply.

Please check screen shots.

As you can see I have decent fonts size. But still in many places icons are way too small.

Link 1

Link 2

All other elements in xfce 4.14 are almost fine.
I need to deal with:
1. Cherrytree
2. Icons in panel, for network, bluetooth etc (bettery is fine, for example).
3. Icons in wisker for setting, lock screen, long out (those three are small. I have increased the rest in wisker menu itself and font, but not others 3 at the bottom right.

#6 2019-09-10 10:32:23

Spass

veisongv wrote:

Link 1
2. Icons in panel, for network, bluetooth etc (bettery is fine, for example).

You should be able to change those icons size in the plugin settings. What are you using? Notification Area and Status Notifier Plugin? Go to the panel preferences (xfce4-panel --preferences), go to "Items" tab and look for those plugins on the list: https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/ … nces#items And from there enter its settings window (you can just double-click them on the list), like here - https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/4.14/systray

EDIT.

veisongv wrote:

3. Icons in wisker for setting, lock screen, long out (those three are small. I have increased the rest in wisker menu itself and font, but not others 3 at the bottom right.

Last time I've checked those were hardcoded, so no option to change them. But maybe something changed since then in the newer Whisker Menu versions. Maybe someone here knows?

Last edited by Spass (2019-09-10 21:41:41)

#7 2019-09-12 14:58:58

veisongv

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I got it. So only option is to wait for some better hidpi options in future builds of xfce.

Since I have set all things already and happy with them and with low power consumption on xfce I will sure stay on it. If any news I will post here as well.

Board footer