Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-06 14:49:17

Johnston

Folders color in Numix

Hi there,

On Xubuntu 18.04 LTS, I'm using Numix icons.
I had a glance to /usr/share/icons/Numix/48/places/ and saw that folders can be blue, green, pink... (it's the same for other sizes)

-So I wonder how to change default color (a kind of orange) to other colors for my folders?
-And to replace a Numix icon by a customized one?

Can anyone help?

Thx so very much

#2 2019-09-06 15:10:10

Spass

Re: Folders color in Numix

Hello and welcome.

You can change folder colors and style using Numix Folders program - https://github.com/numixproject/numix-folders
On Xubuntu you can install it from the Numix PPA - https://launchpad.net/~numix/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:numix/ppa
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install numix-folders

The program should be visible in your applications menu.

Replacing an icon is slightly more complicated, because you would need to find the icon you want to replace somewhere in the Numix icon set folders and replace it with your custom one. But every theme upgrade will probably overwrite your changes. So it's probably better to create a new custom theme and pointing "Inherits=" to the Numix icon set you're using.

What icons do you want to replace / change exactly? Maybe there's an easier way.

#3 2019-09-06 15:35:17

Johnston

:-)

I'd like to replace Music, Downloads icons.... and change some generic folders icons in Documents to differentiate them at first look

Don't have an idea on how to create an Icon theme from scratch. And can't find any well explained ans detailed tuto

#4 2019-09-06 15:44:46

Spass

Johnston wrote:

and change some generic folders icons in Documents to differentiate them at first look

For that you can use Emblems, there are in the folder properties, second tab.

For example, on this screen look at those color circles - https://xubuntu-pl.neocities.org/assets … -lts-2.png

Last edited by Spass (2019-09-06 15:54:20)

#5 2019-09-06 16:26:28

Johnston

Canno't install numix-folders

error:
numix-folders:
Dépend: gksu  but it is not installable

#6 2019-09-06 17:51:02

Spass

Ah yes, I see that's a known issue - https://github.com/numixproject/numix-f … issues/185

Seems like for now you can only use Numix Folders from the terminal (CLI), using -t option (numix-folders -t), previously installing the script the other way, see here - https://github.com/numixproject/numix-f … stallation
But I didn't test that.

#7 2019-09-06 18:19:46

Aravisian

Johnston wrote:

:-)

I'd like to replace Music, Downloads icons.... and change some generic folders icons in Documents to differentiate them at first look

Don't have an idea on how to create an Icon theme from scratch. And can't find any well explained ans detailed tuto

Johnston, I have created my icon theme from scratch and I can tell you that it is not difficult, but it is very tedious. I imagine that those that do it professionally have better tools than I do.
But I can show you how to do it, if you like. That being said... Replacing Individual icons within your theme with new icons is only slightly tedious and not difficult.
First, save back ups. Second, switch to another Icon theme. Third, move your icon folder to a "Landing pad" - a location where you can work on the folder without the system trying to keep up with you. I have a Folder I use for this in my Home directory. When you have completed your work, you will move the folder back to the icons folder and then go to your Settings, appearance, icons tab and select it.

--If you are interested, I can give you a tutorial on using Gimp with the additional plugins:

sudo apt-get install gimp-plugin-registry

What this allows you is the ability to do Batch Processing. This way, you can modify many icons at once. But you always have to loop it twice, which makes it slightly tedious.--

But either way, in each Sized Folder, find the icon that you want to replace and then remove it and replace it with the appropriately sized Icon that you want to replace it with. You may need to access your landing pad folder as root since you moved it from a root folder.
For example,
Numix 16x16, find the Folder-Downloads icon. Delete it. Paste in your new 16x16 Folder-Downloads icon (Numix folder of a different color?).
Move to 22x22 folder and repeat.
Move to 24x24 folder and repeat.
All the way up to 128x128. Be sure to doublecheck yourself that you did get all the folders modified and with the right sizes once you believe you have finished your work.
For one icon in each folder, that would only take a few minutes if you move slowly. There should be about 5 folders or so to go through.
Once the desired icons have been replaced, then move your folder back to /usr/share/icons
Go to Settings, Appearance, Icons
select your newly modified theme.

Last edited by Aravisian (2019-09-06 18:20:18)

#8 2019-09-06 19:18:40

Johnston

Thank you very much guys, gonna see the given links.
And I'm OK for a tuto based on the use of the GIMP :-)
I certainly won't be back here 'til monday pm.
Have a nice week end!

#9 2019-09-06 21:13:29

Aravisian

Johnston wrote:

Thank you very much guys, gonna see the given links.
And I'm OK for a tuto based on the use of the GIMP :-)
I certainly won't be back here 'til monday pm.
Have a nice week end!

Johnston,
If you have not already done so, install Gimp, then install the addons

sudo apt-get install gimp
sudo apt-get install gimp-plugin-registry

Now, when you open Gimp, you will see under Filters, toward the very bottom of the popover menu, "Batch."
Hover over and you will see "batch Process" - select that to use it and a Pop Up window will open.

The Procedure below is just the way I went about doing it. If others know of a better way, I would love to learn it.
Save a back up copy of your entire Numix Icons folder in a safe place. In Downloads, or Documents or whereever.
In my "Landing Pad" folder, I created a secondary landing pad folder. I won't tell you what I named mine, but give it a name that reminds you that you must empty the folder out when you have finished using it.
Copy and paste the icons you wish to modify in a group in that folder. In this case, we are using it to resize, so all the icons you want will start at the largest size. For example, copy and paste in your folder-downloads, folder-templates, folder-home, folder-pictures... Which ever folders you are going to use as your Replacement Icons.
Once you have the group of new replacement icons assembled in your secondary landing pad folder, right click one icon, any icon, and open with Gimp.
Once gimp has opened, put a rubber band around the assembled group of replacement icons in that secondary landing pad folder by clicking the mouse and dragging over them all to ensure they are all highlighted. Leave Them All Highlighted. You will see why this is important in a moment...
In your Davids Batch processor pop up window, the first tab is "Input." Select "Add Files."
Navigate to your Secondary Landing pad Folder.
Double check that you are in the right folder.
Now, rubber band them in this pop up window and select "Open."
Move to the Resize tab.
If in your Numix Icons folder, the next folder size down is 48x48, then your resize will be 48 and 48. Just follow the folder sizes.
If you have a 96x96 folder but that folder does not contain any copies of the icons you wish to replace, skip it and go to the folder size that does contain copies of the icons you are replacing.
Going with 48x48, in the resize tab select "Enable"
Select "Absolute"
Enter 48 in width
Enter 48 in height
Now, move to the last tab, "Output."
There is a "format" drop down menu. Click that and select TGA
then move your mouse cursor to the bottom left of the batch processing window and click start.
Fwwoop, it just resized all the icons to 48x48 in .tga format in your Secondary Landing Pad folder.
Move to that folder and remember how you rubber banded all the .png originals and left them highlighted? They are still there highlighted so right click one and select, "Move to trash."
Now you have only the .tga copies of 48x48 in the folder. Again, rubber band them and leave them highlighted.
Back to the Batch Processor, select the "Input" tab, again. Clear the list with the button on the right.
Now, click "add files" again and add your resized .tga files.
Go directly to the last "Output" tab and select .png from the frop down menu and hit start.
This is what I meant about having to double loop it. The batch process will not output to a different folder and it will not output to two different formats in the same folder.
Once the batch processor has run a second time converting back to .png, right click one of your still-highlighted .tga files and click "move to trash." Now, they are gone, you can copy your replacement files and replace the files in the parent Numix Icons folder in your Main landing Pad folder. IF you highlight the group and move them all at once, just select "Replace-all" or you can replace one at a time.
Repeat this procedure for all the sized folders available and in each sub-directory for Actions or Places or Catagrories- Whereever there are already copies of the icons you wish to replace.
Once you have examined your handi-work, then you can copy your NEW Numix Icons Folder back to where it belongs in either ~ /.icons or /usr/share/icons and then go to Settings, Appearance, Icons and select it to see your new icons at work.

If you made any mistakes, you can use your Back up you saved to restore OR Correct any mistakes.

Last edited by Aravisian (2019-09-06 21:15:02)

#10 2019-09-10 13:34:08

Johnston

Hi,

Just to say I'm still alive :-D
But I had to reinstall all my system, and it's time consuming
@Aravisian: thank you for explanations, I'll work on them ASAP
Be back soon (I hope!)

#11 2019-09-20 14:44:09

Johnston

Hi smile

I found Ubudao-style icon set. Very very easy to replace and customize icons!!! big_smile
Only one size to deal with (128x128)....

Board footer